Amp and woofer help for my car...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello ppl

need info for car amp and woofer!

I am new to this subwoofer business.I have just bought a Pioneer TS-W304F subwoofer
which has a maximum power rating of 600 Watts
and Nominal input is 300W. Does this mean it has 300 watts
rms. It is rated at 4 ohmwhat does this ohm rating tell me?

I need to know what sort of amp will i require if i want to
power this sub, what should be the power rating be, should i look
for rms value on amp, and what should it be ideally and what would
be sufficient?

Other this is if i want to power my clarion speakers
apart from this, on the same amp, what should that amp's power rating be
and how many channels. what does 2 or 4 channel mean?

Thanks for any answers!

Ohms is a unit of measurement for resistance OR impedance to current flow.

A resistive load is the same resistance to current flow no matter whether it is Alternating Current (AC) or Direct Current (DC).

An inductive load is one that varies in its resistance to electrical current flow depending on what frequency the current flow is at.

Speakers are rated for their inductive load, so 4 ohms of impedance means that you must find an amplifier that has the ability to put 300 watts into a 4 ohm load.

Amplifier manufacturers boast about their amps' abilities to put "1000 watts at 1 ohm stable". This is great if you are running more speakers and can make the resistances parallel. Current going through two devices side by side will experience HALF the resistance of current going through one of the same devices by itself.

It is like pumping water through a hose. Two hoses side by side will resist water flow half as much as one hose. In fact a bundle of 10 hoses will provide 1/10th the resistance to water flow as one hose.

Similarly, with subwoofers. Two 4-ohm subwoofers will present half the load to the amplifier, namely 2 ohms.

So, if you find an amplifier that produces 300 watts into 4 ohms, and 600 watts into 2 ohms, then you can later buy another of the same subwoofer, wire it in parallel to the amplifier, and get twice the output, without having to buy another amplifier. Wiring in parallel means the + lead from both speakers goes to the same + terminal on the amplfier, and the - lead from both speakers goes to the same - terminal on the amplifier.

Also, 2 channels means that the amplifier can power two separate speakers. A four-channel amplifier can power four
separate speakers, sending a unique signal to each one. A "mono" or 1-channel amplifier, which is what your subwoofer could use, for example sends its power to only one channel.

If an amplifier can be "bridged", then it can take two channels and combine them into one channel.

So a 2-channel amplifier that says it can have 150 watts into two channels at 4 ohms or 300 watts into 8 ohms bridged or 600 watts into 2 ohms bridged means that it can send 150 watts into each of 2 separate channels (speakers) if they have 4 ohm impedance. If you connect those same two speakers in SERIES (one after the other, not one beside the other, so the current goes through one speaker, then through the next, then back to the amplifier) you get 8 ohms, bridged. So both channels of the amplifier are combined to produce one channel that has 300 watts into the same total load (8 ohms is 4 ohms times two). However, if you connect the speakers in parallel, you get 2 ohms of impedance, and the amplifier will put out 600 watts into that load.

I am sure you can find many amplifiers that will do what you want on the internet.

Are you looking for sound quality, extremely LOUD sound, or what? How much do you have to spend?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.