Drivers - Infinity, MB Quart or what?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am trying to find the best driver (for under $200) for my needs. I listen mostly to classical music and jazz and must have fast, accurate and smooth mids & highs. I'm a bit concerned because I understand that many car speakers have a tendency towards hot, harsh high ends. I'm considering Infinity (Kappa42.5I or Reference4002I,452I), MB Quart(Reference RKC110), etc. I read that generally textile(i.e.-4002I) and silk domes (i.e.-452I) are smoother and more "musical" than metal ones(i.e.-MB Quart RKC 110). The Kappa42.5I has a ceramic composite dome which they say is better than either. Has anyone had any experience with these drivers(especially the Kappa42.5I), or have any other suggestions. How do Eclipse drivers stack up? Any help will be greatly appreciated. TIA

Infinity Kappa's are also metal (CMMD) and tend to be harsh. But it depends on where they're mounted. I had small Kappa's in my dash facing upward and reflecting off the windshield and they were horrible. But the 5.25's in my doors were far enough away that it wasn't a big deal.

Eclipse makes nice speakers, but I've heard them only in stores. If you want crystal clear midrange for vocals and brass, check out the Kicker Resolution line of components. I love mine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.