Hifonics 2607 going into protect when turning volume up. *Solved* - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th October 2016, 08:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Hifonics 2607 going into protect when turning volume up. *Solved*

Hey guys,

I have a hifonics 2607D amp that was working like a dream for me after an initial repair thanks to Perry.. Now some years later, i'm having some strange symptoms.

With the amp installed in the car i started to notice that even at very low volumes, any amount of bass coming through to the amp was causing a distorted crackling popping sound to come out of the speaker. After a very short while, the amp would go into protection whenever I turned the volume up on my head unit. I know I've set the gains and everything right on my audison bit ten and at the amp. I've also tested on two different subs with same results. Every once in a blue moon the amp again starts to operate without any issue. Even the cracking sounds go away.

See below for the activities I've done since.

I first removed the amp out of my car and opened it up to find 1 of the large 4 caps damaged. As well as 4 out of the 8 smaller caps with damage as well. They had popped. These looked to be the power section caps. Rated to 100v

I removed all the caps and replaced them all with fresh same rated caps.

I closed up the amp and put it back in my car and the exact same symptoms.

I tried pounding a bit on the amp to see if something intermittent would happen. But nothing.. It did work again for 1 day out of no where and again back to protection.

Amp goes into protection when increasing the gain. Even without a speaker connected.

With a speaker connected I get a funny cracking popping sound whenever the music I'm playing through the amp has some bass kicks.

If I set the gain low and increase my head unit volume I go right into protect.

I tried connecting an isolated iphone via a line in cable to the amp and the symptoms are the same when I increase the gain or put the volume of the iphone up. crackling as well. This isn't clipping.

I've also now tried taking the amp out of my car onto my test bench using a 12v lead acid battery. Connected to an iphone via line in to RCA. same exact symptoms.

I've opened up the amp and I don't see any damage on the caps that I installed. Nothing is hot or warm even. Exact same symptoms. But I haven't tried attaching it to a speaker on the test bench. But as I turn the volume up or gain up I go into protect.

I have a scope, but I haven't scoped anything yet on the power stage transistors. But it seems to be producing power fine. i've probed the power stage and I have 78V + and - . When turning the volume or gain up I don't see any fluctuation at the input 12v or the 80v rails. Once the amp goes into protection and drops the relay. I see the voltage on the power rail caps start to discharge. I think that is normal behavior.

I'm kinda lost to the problem.

Any help would be awesome.

Mo
Old 7th October 2016, 08:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

1216 driver board?

If so, transistors Q7, 11, 19 and 22 are suspect. Replace them even if they check OK with a meter.

The 470 ohm resistors below those transistors also fail regularly.
Old 8th October 2016, 01:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

1216 board. All transistors mentioned were replaced with 42 and 92 replacements and we are back up and running.

One of the 42 aka 1D transistors lost or maybe blew out a trace on the collector. I'm unsure if it blew out or if I took it off with my solder wick. But there was a bit of the trace left and I was able to use it to find the closest tap. I attached a wire from the closest tap to the transistor leg missing the pad.

Any how. Thanks again Perry. Same amp. Fixed twice by the same guy. 4 years apart. Well done sir

Mo

Last edited by mystamo; 8th October 2016 at 01:43 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!