high-low converter, resistor divider?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In my old car I had to use a high-low converter to power my sub amp from my rear speakers. My sister wants to do that with her car right now until she replaces her deck. The ones I bought were isolation transformers. Can she just use a resistor divider (basically a 10k pot) to do the same thing? I was thinking that there shouldn't be much of a problem with it, it's significantly larger impedance than the 4-ohm speaker...

Line Level Converters (LLC) are available pretty cheap. The problem with a resistor divider is that the speaker outputs aren't ground referenced like RCA line inputs are.

In theory it should be possible to run just one side of a speaker output directly to a 10K ohm amplifier RCA input, using the car ground as the other side. You'll only get 4-5 volts rms, which most amps can handle fine. The only issue is how much noise you pick up in the ground side.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.