JL audio 500/1v2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I also am having the same problem with a JL audio 500/1v2. Many times my bass goes out, so last time it did it I went to go take a look at it. Putting some inward pressure on the Amp LP FIlter and moving it around a bit caused it to output again leading me to believe that that switch is faulty. But the amp keeps intermittently failing to output power. How much would it be to replace the switch? How hard would it be to do it myself.

Hi all,

Wanted to provide some more info for what I ended up doing. After opening up the amp and testing the amp LP filter switch with a continuity tester on a volt meter the switch was definitely bad. So I went ahead and had the switch replaced. Opening up the faulty switch seems like the switch rail contacts were oxidized. After installing the amp I then noticed some more faulty switches. Since its obvious oxidization is messing up the switches i thought simply rocking/toggling the switches would help get rid of it but after some testing apparently not. Just fyi for everyone.

The oxidation is normal and can be quite significant without causing any problems. They are coated with silver which oxidizes. The dimple on the sliding contact can generally cut through the oxide.

The comax switches are the worst. Most can be cleaned but some are hopeless. Virtually all non-comax switches are salvageable with minimal effort.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.