Questions about upgrading old school amps - Proton, RF, etc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Where would an audio enthusiast start when bringing an old school amp into the modern age? Resistors, caps, transistors? All of them have improved in the 30-35 years since these amps were new. But what gets replaced, for best results? I bought Perry's course but scanning through it I didn't see anything about mods.

I have a big stack of Proton amps, along with a Rockford Fosgate Punch 150, and they're all begging to be put back into service. I'm sure they'd at least need some cap replacements by now, but if I do that I may as well upgrade.

So, if anyone here has experience modding amps, could you please explain how you arrive at your road map for doing your upgrades?

If you ever intend on selling old amps, you should know that some collectors (likely the buyers for vintage amps) may want them original (no mods, no repairs). Doing anything to the amps could reduce their value.

Many circuits are much the same as they were 35 years ago. Changing them in any way could alter their behavior. Any mods need to be thoroughly tested to confirm that the the amp still behaves as it should.

Not all caps fail. Some need to be replaced but many do not. Those that are leaky, of course need to be replaced. You should also know that some caps are very difficult to remove without damaging the board.

I doubt I'd ever get rid of these since I put so much effort into sourcing them. I've debated turning one of my spare rooms into a faux audio "store" long ago - I have all my old store material including the dealer sign, promo handouts, price sheets,etc - but I think I'll just be happy putting some of these in a vehicle after any restoration / upgrade work, and maybe putting the nicest ones on a lab display in my workshop.

Hi,
I totally agree with Mr. Babin about absolutely DO NOT "modify" any so-said Old School amp... unless it needs be repaired or replaced any part, yes caps sometimes -not so many at all.
Money value of the original mint new apart, TRUE Old school amps as the ones (thousands pcs of course along the 80s' through 90s') came out of the mythical Silicon Valley were made with first&main purpose of Audio reproduction as close to reality as possible, what we all call Hi-Fidelity.
So if unfortunately any amp of that times need to be serviced and replaced parts as "matched pairs" transistors this would change much probably its sound timbre, and also passive parts as caps would change it, i'm sure not really improving.... unless you would apply same care and manufacturing "philosophy" one time applied.
On the contrary, I think a less than 20 years old amplifier, most often coming out from far-east factories these ones are needing to be modified ! as the goal, after that first ERA, was market competition ONLY and far-east people was there to do its best In this job.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.