HCCA 25001 butchered? Need repair help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,
Can you help me with this issue. I dont know if this was done by Orion or some repair shop. The Outputs are blown and I am cleaning up the amp to replace them. I bought the amp this way and I am in the process of repairing it. Why would this modification be done? And should I keep it this way?
If someone can help me with a service manual, I would greatly appreciate it.
Also in the next picture can someone tell me where I can get a replacement POT for the broken one? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20160710_130815.jpg
    20160710_130815.jpg
    471.3 KB · Views: 166
  • 20160710_130847.jpg
    20160710_130847.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 161
I don't think a service manual is available.

The RC network may not be OEM but maybe OEM recommended. The attached photo shows RC networks that were done by the manufacturer.

You should know that (at least some of) these amps have a problem with asymmetrical clipping. The amp will clip differently top and bottom and nowhere near the rails. There may be a fix for it but without the schematic diagram and no adjustment pot for it, it's going to be difficult to repair. This problem was confirmed by another tech. It wasn't a one-off failure.

The original outputs are also out of production. Any that you find could be counterfeit. I used the recommended alternate parts and they failed with no load while I was trying to determine what was causing the asymmetrical clipping. I didn't attempt to do any more with my amp. Told the owner to send it back to Orion.

Attachments

• DSCN9472x.jpg
    DSCN9472x.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 152
Are those outputs original? The one I had used the IRFP4242.

If you can find a way to repair the asymmetrical clipping, you can try to repair it. If you cannot, I don't think you can charge the owner and say that you repaired it. The problem may have been resolved in your amp. I can only tell you what I dealt with with the amp I had.

Finally Got the amp fixed. Works great but I am still looking for the broken Pot on the control card. Does anyone know where I can get one? It cant be found on Mouser or digikey or any of these electronics parts sites. I have done extensive searching. It is a 50K 4-gang pot. ( see the broken Pot in the above pic). ALso tried to contact Orion unsucessfully. There repair center is in Miami not to far from me and they couldnt help me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.