Earthquake PA4300 "slave side" (Part 2)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
20160528_155709_zpsiihq01m9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20160528_160301_zpsgehe9py8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm just assembling this amp with both boards together now but having a little difficulty! the strips of silicone insulater keep shifting around whilst sliding the boards in, any tips on this and can I use kapton sheet instead of the silicone strips? kapton tends stay put a bit better!

The manufacturers recommend replacing the silicone pads. In my opinion, if you use heatsink compound on both sides, they are generally OK to reuse. If you apply heatsink compound between the pad and the sink, they should remain in place. Lift the board as high as possible when sliding it into the heatsink (let the transistors ride against the top side of the slot as you slide the board in).

Kapton MT would be OK. Don't use the kapton sheet that they're selling as a base for 3D printers. It's different (not as thermally conductive).

Hi marko and Perry, I did follow this thread with much interest, anyway as I'm not constant in visiting the forum so I didn't post my suggestion -or better my opinion- when you were working at 1rst half... i just wanted to say to first mount back pots on board as these amps are somewhat "touchy" like babies... and also re-solder as many "mean" parts is the wisest work that by itself could sometimes give the good result you're looking for! (especially for old pieces).
I understand this is not quite a professional, technical approach to repairs, anyway it works more times than expected... in my experience.
As re. to some difficulty in insertion of pcb in the heat sink, I have done several times for 480uhc and yes, it requires some attention but I guess we are talking of same amps, and they sure are 2pcs Pa2300 stucked together in the 94 cm chassis, it should have both end panels removed, 1rst lets say the one with RCA connectors (and small preamp board) and the 2nd on the other side with power cables and speaker connectors... in the center of the amp shoud be a metal "wall panel" where pre-signal cable is leaned on, and speaker + power cables are connected to terminals where they go accross to the other end. So, amps boards get in the heat sinks one in one side and second in the opposite side... you shouldn't find so much difficult following the Perry's suggestion to hold board up while inserting as transistors scratch on upper side of groove....after that you only have to put carefully back the clamps on them... there is just the exact room for them to go through inside the upper heat sink groove.... and yeah, hear that "old style" incredible but realistic headroom and dynamics those instruments are capable to reproduce.

Happy if have been of some help to you, and if you're using Tannoy speaker (Edinburgh perhaps?) in your bench test...woah I guess you'll be all time anxious to get the final audition test of repaired machines... just for chronicle, only a couple days ago I was mentioning to a new friend, who was telling me of a new speaker release by DD for an 8" coaxial, that Tannoy was first manufacturer -at my knowledge- who made a 15" coaxial with internal driver having an incredible efficiency along with a top rate quality so much that BBC studios in England adopted immediately those speakers in their recording studios.... (this new I heard in early seventies by a musician here in Rome...) wow, so much time passed away!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.