Need Amplifier Help!!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2004, 08:26 AM   #1
greg k is offline greg k  United States
diyAudio Member

Question Need Amplifier Help!!!

I don't really know much about this...
My stereo has only one RCA cable for the amp, but I have a box with 2 12" Infinity speakers in it.
What kind of amp should I get? Should I get a one channel amp and hook up both speakers to one channel or should i get a 2 channel amp and split that one RCA cable?
Someone please help...
Old 23rd February 2004, 04:05 PM   #2
TO-3 is offline TO-3  Peru
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TO-3
What are the impedances of the speakers? All you need is an amplifier for low pass and you will be set. But in the future if you wish to upgrade to a front channel amp, you may wish to place a electronic crossover after your HU.
Old 25th February 2004, 09:09 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

i got 2 4 ohm infinity speakers they're about 200W each rms
yeah i know i need an amp for a low pass, but i only have one subwoofer channel in my radio, and i got 2 speakers
should i run a mono amp and connect both speakers to one channel or get a 2 channel amp and split the rca cable?
someone please help
Old 25th February 2004, 11:36 AM   #4
jomor is offline jomor  Greece
diyAudio Member

Imo it would be "healthier" for the amps, to drive a 4 load instead of 2. That depends on the amp's specs of course. If an amp is stable down to 2, I would feel less anxious if I put a 4 load on it, instead of 2, even if it is between the safety limits. I would split the sub-output with a Y rca cable and drive 2 amps, one for each sub. Two amps are more expensive though, so its up to you.
Old 25th February 2004, 04:00 PM   #5
maylar is offline maylar  United States
diyAudio Member

A mono amp running 2 ohms is standard practice. You could also get a 2 channel and split the RCA, your choice.
Old 25th February 2004, 10:15 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanx for your advise it was very helpful =)
Old 27th July 2005, 08:08 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Markz66mustang
Exclamation Help me please!

Okay this is my problem I have the sony XM-504Z amplifier it is the 4/3 channel with the high and low pass filter. The problem is when the amplifier is plugged up it emits no sound from the low side channels and one high side channel I dont know which. Also when it was working I could plug one twelve up and bridge it and it sounded good or my two tens but when I plugged up my two twelves and bridged it then you couldnt turn the stero up past three or four notches or the amplifier would cut off the green light would go out and the red light would come on. Someone please help me I like this amplifier alot and I would really appreciate knowing how to fix it.
Old 28th July 2005, 08:49 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ocool_15 Send a message via Yahoo to ocool_15
just a quick thought but your probably running 2ohms on the bridgable channels stable into 4ohms, and putting it into protection. your using 2 of its channels bridged right?

Hide this!Advertise here!