'02 Landcruiser needs 6.5" woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
W6-1139SIF - 6.5" Paper Subwoofer - TB SPEAKER CO., LTD. only has an 83db SPL and 50 wrms with 100 peak. Unless you are in a dead quiet car, you most likely won't hear that, even if you overpowered it with 100w. 83 SPL is very low, and normal needs large wattage in larger subs, so a small single 6.5", will be a waste, and 15w won't be enough.
Interestingly, the W3 is 80 db 1w/1m and 150 wrms.

You'd be better off retrofitting an 8" or even 10" in a true box, even stealth box works IF considering a sub woofer.

IF you broaden the search scope to include normal 6.5" mid-bass woofers, you'll most likely find a better solution.

Parts express sells the 1st speaker linked from previous poster for $48:
Tang Band W6-1139SIF 6-1/2" Paper Cone Subwoofer Speaker

Here's a "pro woofer" for example with 94 SPL and 150 wrms but 8 ohm:
B&C 6PS38 6.5" Professional Woofer

It'll only go down to 70hz on low end, and your 15w amp would be enough to power it IF your factory woofer was 8 ohm, otherwise need a mild amp upgrade, to have audible db levels in a larger vehicle. If the amp was lacking, a small mono'd 100-150 wrms @ 8ohm (most 4 ohm bridged tolerate 8 ohm bridged and less heat with amp). Clas A/B or D depending on preference. Use that amp's 70hz cross-over and avoid a bass boost below that range as the speaker won't do it. A 100 hz boost might be OK.

Here's an entire selection of 6.5" woofers already pre-checked:
Pro Woofers, Subwoofers & Midrange Speakers in the Speaker Components Department at Parts Express | 31!

Some are mid-bass, some avoid upper ranges, etc. But they are cheaper, most have good reviews, and should work fine. Avoid mid-only ranges unless you want a little vocal presence added, assuming the factory amp isn't cutting them. Might be worth looking at your amp and checking if it has any adjustments to frequency range and even gain.

Last edited:
Hey Ogie,

I did a quick search for the factory sub in your Landcruiser, and it appears to be very specialized for that vehicle. The subwoofer driver might be 8ohm dual voice coil and has a mounting depth of about 3 inches. The driver has a foam surround and could be rotted out. Are you looking for a replacement because it sounds bad or just an upgrade? If the voice coils are still good you could have the surround replaced for about $30. If you are looking for an upgrade, and are set on using the factory location and enclosure then you should remove it and take measurements to find a driver that will fit properly. Hope this was helpful.

Regards,
Matt

Hey Ogie,

I did a quick search for the factory sub in your Landcruiser, and it appears to be very specialized for that vehicle. The subwoofer driver might be 8ohm dual voice coil and has a mounting depth of about 3 inches. The driver has a foam surround and could be rotted out. Are you looking for a replacement because it sounds bad or just an upgrade? If the voice coils are still good you could have the surround replaced for about $30. If you are looking for an upgrade, and are set on using the factory location and enclosure then you should remove it and take measurements to find a driver that will fit properly. Hope this was helpful.

Regards,
Matt
Hi Matt, I was just wondering; where do you send for repairs? How much would this cost for S&H? How would this compare to replacing? Just figuratively speaking, of course. Maybe, replacing speaker and upgrading amp for many more smiles.

Hi Matt, I was just wondering; where do you send for repairs? How much would this cost for S&H? How would this compare to replacing? Just figuratively speaking, of course. Maybe, replacing speaker and upgrading amp for many more smiles.

Hi,

A few years ago I picked up a pair of old Infinity RSe with rotted out surrounds for $20. My brother, who owned a DJ company at the time recommended Performance Audio located here in Salt Lake City. If my memory is correct I think the quote was about $30 each, to have the surrounds replaced. I didn't have the original drivers fixed, instead I used new Visaton drivers for $45. Anyways, I called Performance Audio today and they said the pricing starts at about $50. For that kind of money it would probably be better to buy new. Parts Express sales refoam kits for about $25 on up.

If we are still talking about the Land Cruiser then I would upgrade everything. If cargo space is important then I would use a 10 or 12 inch subwoofer in a sealed enclosure, and a small class D amplifier mounted under a seat. Hope this was helpful.

Regards,
Matt

Got it Matt.

I'll remove the panel and see what I'm working with. The guys at Crutchfield told me same thing you did about the customized woofer.

This a family car where kids still ride in the back etc... So, don't want to do an external box, although maybe come out a few inches from the existing woofer location. Hopefully we can wedge in an 8"er and replace the amp w a Class D as you suggested.

Once i figure out the space I'll report back.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.