Diy Dc-dc Pc Power Supply , Anyone? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2004, 06:25 AM   #1
CAR_LCD is offline CAR_LCD  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Diy Dc-dc Pc Power Supply , Anyone?

I will be putting a Computer in to my car, a cheap seteup ATX board witha 2000xp AMD , I kind of need some help on a DIY 12DC-DC PC power SUpply for my ATX board and one hardisk , I did some seach on the net, they have some premade product, but it's a tight budget project, so ..... had anyone done it or got any good source how ot make one? thanx
Old 20th February 2004, 06:54 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

buy a inverter to suit the computers power demands
Old 20th February 2004, 07:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well here's my shot at it...I found this some time ago on the net...instructions are not in English though...

http://web.singnet.com.sg/~a1265/SMPSU.zip
Old 22nd February 2004, 12:04 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JOE DIRT®
buy a inverter to suit the computers power demands

Most inverters produce a sawtooth wave tho, which often results in noisy power being fed to the PC, which leads to buzzing from the speakers... DC-DC is your best bet. OPUS are good but pricey. You can build one yourself... I've done it. I used the sproggy design.
Old 22nd February 2004, 12:25 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

well in the pc psu...it gets rectified to dc...so ain't it the same?? the inverters i got are square wave...which works pretty good on pcs...but dun try a fan...reduced output plus a lot of buzzing...
Old 22nd February 2004, 07:34 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by li_gangyi
well in the pc psu...it gets rectified to dc...so ain't it the same??
You would think so, wouldn't you? But the PC's PSU expects a sine wave to be put into to, so the rectification isn't as good when another sorta wave is put in. Try using a scope to look at the output from the PC's PSU when wired up to a square/sawtooth inverter and you will see what i mean.

I'm sure a sine wave inverter would work better, but they are pricey.
Old 23rd February 2004, 06:52 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

how about beefing up the smoothing caps and using a faster rectifier?? IMO it just needs DC for the SMPSU to work properly...so mabe wad tt guy needs is just a DC to DC converter...assuming he doesn't try to run a printer off the supply...
Old 25th February 2004, 09:40 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to zx3chris
hello,

i have a car pc in my car. i used the cheapest invertert i could find (newegg.com, $29 for 300w), produces modified sine wave (nearly square wave) ac. I used the cheapest PC power supply i could find. I have no noise issues. I have installed about 10 car pc's in various cars, and have gone the same route on each. Make sure to connect the PC power supply case to car chassis, and inverter case to car chassis. if you have any slight hum you cannot get rid of, get the external creative mp3+ usb sound card. it plugs into the usb port and prodvides female rc line out levels -- perfect to feed into an amp, and only costs $39, (the price of a OEM Autigy).

-chris
Old 23rd March 2004, 07:28 PM   #9
none is offline none  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is where you want to look for your answers: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=11 Sproggy/ Mastero would be your best best for diy. I run a Sproggy 2.8+.

Hide this!Advertise here!