Quasi Hafler ambiance rear speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought a Kenwood HU from Crutchfield that is connected to the Bose amp in my 2001 Miata using the levels interface they supplied (Bose amp is unbalanced and can't accept the line level outputs).

There are no rear speakers in the car, but I am going to buy and custom install some 4" Kenwood speakers from Crutchfield and hook them up directly to the rear speaker outputs of the HU, but I want them to act as a quasi Hafler circuit.. I want to take the rear left amp + output and hook it to the left rear speaker + and the rear right amp + output and hook it up to the right speaker + and then hook the rear negative left speaker terminal to the rear right negative terminal. This should give me a semi Hafler ambiance affect to the rear speakers that can be adjusted for volume using the HU front-rear fade control. What do you think?

I want to take the rear left amp + output and hook it to the left rear speaker + and the rear right amp + output and hook it up to the right speaker + and then hook the rear negative left speaker terminal to the rear right negative terminal.
No! Most of the car amplifiers are working in the bridge mode. Check your amplifier, but I bet it is already bridged internally.

Many years ago I had a VW camper bus and I had a very nice Pioneer HU with separate amp driving the front 2 way speakers and I used the simple Hafler circuit to hook up two rear speakers giving a ambiance type effect. It was actually quite nice and subtle. I never had any problems with it. Maybe that older amp was a common ground type?

The problem is... You're asking a question that probably cannot be definitively answered unless you ask the internal amp IC manufacturer. From my experience (in the few times where someone has wanted to use strange configurations), the IC will tolerate it but that doesn't mean that all will.

I don't think that you'll need to wire the speakers with a reverse series connection but you can try it both ways.

If you try this, play the head unit for 10 minutes or so with just the front speakers and then check the temperature of the heatsink. Connect the rear speakers and confirm (from the time you start playing the head unit again) that the heatsink doesn't get hotter. The rear speakers should draw virtually nothing from the amp. If they cause the heatsink to heat up noticeably more than it did with just the front speakers, there is a problem and you should disconnect them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.