Messing around with the RX8 system.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll never spend $1000s on speakers and I enjoy the challenge of taking budget components and making them sound decent. That said...

I have a Mazda RX8 that I've been fiddling with for some time. I replaced the Bose system with two Sony XM-GS400 amps. One for the lefts, one for the rights. The rear speakers are Alpine SPR69. Subs are two Rockford Fosgate P2D2 8" on a Sony XM-GS100. The front speakers are what I'm constantly fiddling with now. My DSP popped so I'm out of luck with time alignment for now.

The front tweeters are Roadmaster VR3 RT15 1" domes. Interestingly, these were the flattest of all the tweeters I tested. I have JL, Polk, Aura, Alpine, Soundcraft, and a few others. The $10 tweeter won that shootout.

Currently the door woofer is an MCM 8" 4 ohm. MCM Audio Select 70W Rms 4 Ohm Rubber Surround Woofer Poly Cone 8 Inch Mcm | 55-3231 (553231) | MCM Audio Select

The MCM 8" doesn't have particularly high frequency extension. I either have to add a midrange, or replace that driver with something else. The sensitivity of the MCM is 89dB, 70w, 4 ohm. There's a PRV 8" I'm interested in but it's 95db, 250w, 8 ohm. http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/brochures/294-2711-prv-audio-8mb500-ndy-brochure.pdf

How much sensitivity will I loose going to the 8 ohm? Just -3db? That would end up +3db louder then the MCM correct?

Can someone take a look at those two speakers and give me their opinion?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.