Amp manufacturers and customer support

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd like to try to get some threads started (possibly sticky'd) for the various amp manufacturers. These would not be for tech support. These would be strictly to show which manufacturers support their owners and those who repair their equipment (not including factory authorized repair centers). The following would be what I would want to see posted and other should add what they want. For those who have dealt with various manufacturers, please post your experiences so (if this becomes useful) it can help shape the basic template.

* Do they sell parts such as terminal blocks, RCA jacks, driver boards, hard to get semiconductors?

* If they do sell parts, are the parts readily available in reasonable quantities (10pcs, for example)? I've dealt with some manufacturers who do not stock parts and if you need a terminal block, they have to remove it from a junk board, which means that availability is limited.

* Are the parts stocked in the country where the amp was purchased or do you have to order from China or Korea?

* Do they provide schematic diagrams. If they do, does the diagram include the driver board diagrams.

* If they will not provide diagrams, will they at least give the value of parts that are either missing or burned beyond recognition.

* If they do not sell parts or offer tech support, what is the rate for repair. Some have flat rates that are relatively high and make it uneconomical to repair their amps, especially considering shipping costs.

* For those who sometimes provide some assistance, depending on who you contact, I'd like to have people who have been successful in getting help to note what they did to get help when others could not.

I'd like this to be a guide for those who are looking for a new amp but would otherwise go into it blindly with regards to what they will have to deal with if they ever need support.

Emailed soundstream once. In my email I used part number designations and a problem I was having. Not being real educated on repairs yet, I seemed knowledgeable enough that I think the guy knew I wasn't going on with endless emails. I was concise and polite with some technical background. I simply asked for a schematic. He said normally they don't give them out but he would send me the schematic.

Rockford haven't had any problems with. Usually get what I need but I found calling is simpler and usually quicker. There flat labor repair on most amps pretty much ruins the plans on a repair. Most can buy a working amp new for the same price.

Both experiences which I had sure would probally went different if I said hey my amp smoked. How can I put the smoke back in there to get it to work. :) Im very sure they get tons of people that haven't a clue and there not to teach electronics class.. So it depends...

MTX I have not tried to contact based on others experiences. Although I worked for a MTX retailer for about 15 years maybe I should try and throw up a few old names?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.