Bi-Amp or Bi-Wiring?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to car audio and needs some advice.
Currently I have followings:
Headunit: VW RNS-510
AMP: Soundstream Picasso Nano PN4.520D 4chx100W@4ohms
Speaker: Focal PS165FX(with bi-amp crossover)

Currently, I'm only using 2 channels to connect to right and Left crossovers. Crossover has a bar connected to inputs of Tweeter and Mid inputs.

1. Is it possible to use 2 channels of Amp to connect to a bi-amp crossover? so I would end up 2 right channels to right crossover and 2 left channels to connect left crossover. If so, will I be applying 100W to tweeeter and Mid or crossover sees 100W only. I believe by doing I will be applying 200W to each crossover making more headroom but not sure if this is possible.

2. PN4.520D can be bridged into 2 channels making it 260Wx2CH. Is better to bridge the amp then connect to each crossover than method above?

Currently I'm not utilising 2 channels of my amp so I would like to use if possible but not sure which method is best with bi-amp crossover.

Thanks in advance.

1) yes, this is possible. Those crossovers are designed that way to make that setup possible.
Do not think that you are playing at 200 W rms however. The mid will get 100 W. The tweeters will only receive high frequenties, which have less power.
But you do get more headroom and more control over the speakers, so it's a recommed setup.
I had a similar setup in my wife's old BMW with focal components and a denon amplifier.

2) also possible, but be carefull with the gain settings on the amplifier, because that is a lot of power. This way you do indeed send 260W to the mids. I do think though that option 1 gives you a better result in sound quality. Because working at 2 ohm, the amplifier has less control over the speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.