kicker transistor brand

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Amp is a kicker ZX350.4

Amp had a blown PS and two bad output TIP35/36
I replace the outputs with same part number but brand was ST.The channel is playing clean audio but these outputs is heating up even at idle.I tried them on the next channel and same thing.The outputs are good i have used the same batch to repair other amps with no problem.Do i need to get the same brand outputs for this amp?

Attachments

• kic.jpg
    kic.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 134
I think there is nothing wrong with your replacement transistors, even though they are old in TO-218 case. I believe if you try a set of the KEC brand transistors to the burnt channel you will see exactly the same. So, you probably missed something in the repair of that channel.

Try using a multimeter on diode-check to check the Vdrop from the B to the E terminals of the transistors. Check them OUT of circuit. Compare the new ones to the old ones to give us some idea of their differences. That can help us figure beta and junction size.

A beefier transistor with lower gain will usually have a lower B-E voltage, but not always.

The threshold voltage is what's critical for the new transistors. For class B amps, the bias is set to just under the threshold. If the replacements have a lower threshold voltage, that could cause the biasing to increase to class AB and the outputs will pass current at idle. Making adjustments to the bias resistors can reduce the bias back to class B, just as you'd have if there was a bias pot.

If you adjust the bias resistors, you need to run the amp up to thermal shutdown, monitoring the idle current along the way, to confirm that the bias settings are OK from a cold start all of the way to thermal shutdown.

Here are the locations and values of the biasing resistors Perry refers to:
R (b-c) R346-2.26K 1%
R (b-e) R347-1K 1%

A replacement alternative for the output transistors would be KTD718 and KTB688, if the KEC's are unavailable.Which will perclude any biasing changes.

Kicker amps may be different than those where I've tried interchanging the 2S type transistors with the TIP35/36. Years ago, I suggested that the TIP be used in place of the 2S transistors. After repeated failures, I was baffled until I tested to thermal. The TIP transistors were OK with the bias configuration when cold but as the temperature increased, the bias current didn't hold (thermal avalanche). That's why I always recommend running to thermal shutdown and monitoring the idle current.

The 718 and 688 may be OK in this amp but they're rated for much less current than the TIP35/36 and may not be universally interchangeable.

Based on my schematics the 2004 and 2006 models use 688's & 718's, and 2008 where changed to TIP's. I took a closer look and realized that the emitter resistors where changed from .2 ohm to .1 ohm and T1 turns ratio was increased to accomadate the TIP's. However there where some revs to raise the thermal shutdown threshold to accomadate a lower impedances value for Kicker component speakers, which complicates the issue. Looking at the pic Ian33 posted shows .2 ohm with TIP's. Which further clouds the issue. I'm inclined to agree with you Perry, and using the 688 and 718 would not be recommended.

If I where doing the repair I would have replaced the TIP's with KEC's, but I have a bit of an advantage as far as an available source of parts, which Ian33 may not have.So, having said that if lowering the resistor value in the bias circuit and testing for thermal shutdown works, great! I came here to not only offer my experience with Kicker amps, but to learn more about the art of electronic repair, and this is a good example!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.