Anyone willing to help?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Trying to fix an Arc Audio 4150 car audio amp. Blows fuses. I'm having trouble finding a good 12v power source, been using an 18v plug in the wall powersupply, but I thing it's sending the amp into overvolt protection. May have to resort to taking the 12V battery out of my lawnmower. Went to Radioshack but they stopped selling 12V powersupplies. This is a really nice amp. I can't subscribe to "ampguts" so I'm here with my hand out.

Update: Now the little green light that was blinking in protect mode won't turn on. So I checked the voltage of the middle contact of all the bipolars in the output stage and I'm not getting any voltage. The only voltage I'm getting is from off of all the transformer outputs. Even the smaller transformer doesn't have voltage. Does this mean the IC, essentially the protection circuit, is not working? Don't think I can order one of those. Thanks.

Trying to fix an Arc Audio 4150 car audio amp. Blows fuses. I'm having trouble finding a good 12v power source, been using an 18v plug in the wall powersupply, but I thing it's sending the amp into overvolt protection. May have to resort to taking the 12V battery out of my lawnmower. Went to Radioshack but they stopped selling 12V powersupplies. This is a really nice amp. I can't subscribe to "ampguts" so I'm here with my hand out.

CAR AUDIO.

And yes, it will run perfectly on 18v, they just say its designed for 12v for giggles.

Weak power supplies overshoot the voltage with low current draw. They have to do that because by the time the supply is loaded to the rated load the voltage sags and it makes rated voltage.

A photo would be helpful (this may be very similar to some of the Clarion amps that have full service manuals) but you have to get the supply voltage down to where the amp doesn't go into over-voltage shutdown.

Here's a couple pics I found online. Noot from my amp but it's identical. There are no burned components on mine so these should do just fine. Again, I was getting the amp to go into protect mode, now it won't take voltage, even 12V from a battery. Thanks guys. Hope these link work OK.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.