Logic 7 amp not working. Please help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Others have added aftermarket amps using a plug in harness. In those cases they usually also upgrade the woofers and add a sub.

I have ordered new ICs from ebay so wont bother going down that route. Hopefully will fix it!

Thank you for the responses Perry its been helpful.

I received the ICs today and soldered them in. One of the chips had the pins the other way around and I had to solder in with the shiny side facing down not up. Does this matter?

Also is it okay to use computer thermal paste for the ICs?

Attachments

• C360_2015-07-14-14-54-00-788.jpg
    C360_2015-07-14-14-54-00-788.jpg
    476.5 KB · Views: 133
Perry thanks for your replies i really appreciate it. I have soldered in the ICs and the underseat woofers are working now.

However im a bit disapointed with the sound quality. When I hooked up the woofers to my home stereo they sounds great. Crystal clear mids and base. My AV receiver powers 175w per channel so hard to compare to the L7 amp but still think it could be better. When i listen to each speaker on its own - FL,FR,RL,RR they sound muddy and underpowered. All together they sound fine including the centre channel and tweeters. Id like better low and mid range.

Because its a DSP not analogue including the output from the HU its expensive to upgrade the amp because it needs to be digital.

It is possible to put in more powerful ICs in the amp to get more power to the speakers? If so how can I find out which ones would be suitable?

Thanks again

Last edited:
The output power is determined by the voltage that the amp can produce to the speakers and the impedance of the speakers. You cannot change either of those. If you change the speakers, they're not likely to be as efficient. If you use a larger amp, it's likely that you'll blow the OEM speakers. You could use a line output converter to let the OEM amp drive an external amp.

Here are a few pics of my Logic7 amp circuit board. Its from a BMW 2007 E90.
I pulled it apart because the underseat woofers were barely audible.

Is there anything obviously wrong with it? Is the green goo supposed to be there?

I am a complete noob at this. If its possible for me to fix it id like to rather than taking to a repair shop.

Has it always been this way?

In my Hyundai Genesis there's an 8" woofer that's barely audible. I'm pretty sure this is by design; to get real output they'd need a much larger woofer.

As i mentioned I removed the woofers and connected them to my home audio system and they sounded very good. And once I replaced the woofer ICs they were working in my car just fine. So it has not always been this way and I dont think an 8" woofer is supposed to be barely audible.

Maybe you should remove your woofers and test them independently of the amp then you will know if the problem is the woofer or the amp. In my case changing the amp is not easy because its not analogue. Maybe you can do this in your car.

With all respect to Perry Babin i dont really agree with his comment above that you will blow speakers with a larger amp. Your ears would have to be bleeding to do that and you would know your speakers are being damaged because they would be distorting. Powering a speaker with an underpowered amp is more likely to blow a speaker. So I think any speaker will benefit from more power.

As i mentioned I removed the woofers and connected them to my home audio system and they sounded very good. And once I replaced the woofer ICs they were working in my car just fine. So it has not always been this way and I dont think an 8" woofer is supposed to be barely audible.

Maybe you should remove your woofers and test them independently of the amp then you will know if the problem is the woofer or the amp. In my case changing the amp is not easy because its not analogue. Maybe you can do this in your car.

Mine are basically impossible to remove. Must be a JBL thing; I have the Logic 7 system from Lexicon (aka JBL) in my car.

This thread is fascinating! I have a 2008 BMW M3 with the Enhanced Premium Sound which I have heard is kind of similar to the Logic 7 amp. I'm having the same exact issue. Low output fading in and out of my under seat subs.

Couple Questions (FYI, I'm a noob here but technical all around):

Is your fix holding?
Would you think the chips are the same and I can buy what you bought?
Did you find the chip number by lifting it and seeing the part number?
What is thermal paste and what was it used for?

Any advice here would be awesome. Like you said these amps are expensive (Mine is $1200) and if I can fix it by purchasing a couple $15 chips that would be awesome.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.