Looking for Orion 225r HCCA Potentiometer specs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Getting exact replacements may be difficult because the physical aspects may not be easy to match. What's wrong with the pots?

Also, if you remove the pots, I'd strongly recommend using ChipQuik to desolder them. I've seen several of these amps with the vias damaged and on one the traces ripped up because the pots were difficult to remove.

Don't attempt to remove the pots until you have the replacement parts. Plastic pots are VERY easily damaged when they're desoldered and after desoldering them, they're no longer usable.

Mr. Babin,

Thank you for the reply.

Here is the back ground on this amp. Prior to getting myself into repairing my equipment myself, with good advice from this forum and yourself, I took Two 225r hcca's to a local electronics repair shop, not impressive at all, for reconditioning. The amps were purchased off of ebay. When I finally received the amps they really did not look like any work was completed on them, and they did not have the same hardware that I drop them off with. I was told that he had to use WD 40 on the pots and switches to stop corrosion and lube them up.

Recently, one of the amps has had the audio cut in and out. I switched amps from side to side, and the problem followed the one amp. I started researching online and I found numerous sites indicating that it is a bad pot, and to try cleaner first before swapping it out, and what ever you do DO NOT USE WD40. Well that ship has come and sailed, so I am assumeing that it must be replaced, unless there is a cleaner I could try first.

Thank you for your time and advice.

The biggest problems with these amps are the switches, not the pots.

To be honest, I used WD-40 for MANY years and only stopped because it smells like kerosene. I have never seen any damage to any pot from using it and it works much of the time. If the amps cuts in/out when rotating the pot, the pot could be dirty. it's much more likely that you have a switch with dirty contacts. If you can move the switch through the various positions and the audio intermittently goes in/out, clean the switch. Radio Shack has some decent contact cleaner.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.