Phoenix Gold - Octane R 5.0.4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Front L&R work. Rear L works. Rear R mostly doesn't work but sometimes pops back in for a second or two or minutes.

I don't see anything visible wrong with it which is pretty much the extent of my what-to-do knowledge.

I don't know what problems cause this symptom (intermittent, mostly not working sound on half of a channel), so I'm not sure where to look or for what. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Attachments

• phoenix gold - octane R 5.0.4.jpg
    phoenix gold - octane R 5.0.4.jpg
    721.3 KB · Views: 153
  • phoenix gold - octane R 5.0.4_left.jpg
    phoenix gold - octane R 5.0.4_left.jpg
    747.5 KB · Views: 123
  • phoenix gold - octane R 5.0.4_right.jpg
    phoenix gold - octane R 5.0.4_right.jpg
    671.1 KB · Views: 127
I would suspect the rotary switch.

Oh wow, I guess you mean the front/rear bypass config? I'll play with it while it's running to see if anything changes. I always left it on bypass/bypass.

Do you have a part number for that? I can't find anything on the switch itself.

Maybe there is a just a generic name for that type of switch I need to find a potential replacement. Also, do you mean you suspect the internals of the switch are bad or just the solder joints on it? Thanks for the input Perry.

Last edited:
If it's the switch, it's likely dirty internal contacts. As far as I know (could well be wrong) but I think those switches are custom made. Sometimes contact cleaner will get them back to good working order. Flood it with contact cleaner and work it back and forth about 50 times if it needs cleaning.

I've got some de-ox-id, that seems to me like it would be good for the job. Do you think it will be good enough?

Apparently it was just a coincidence that it worked when I put it back in and tested it. I noticed the rear left speaker dropped out today and then I went over a bump and it came back for a bit then went out again. When I stopped I did some testing. I flipped the left/right input cables and previously working left side input into the right still didn't work but the right now into the left still worked so the inputs are good. Does the fact that it started working for a bit after going over a bump suggest anything in particular? Like maybe a bad solder joint?

If you do nothing other than change the setting of the switch, does the channel play again?

Bad solder joints are extremely rare on double-sided boards like those used in PG amps.

I forgot to mention that. Sorry. I played audio and while doing so moved the switch and it didn't get me any sound or even noises via that right rear speaker. I also jiggled the wires at the speaker and at the amp with no change. Maybe it was just a coincidence that it came on when I hit a bump but I seem to recall it coming on in the past when cornering sometimes. Good to know bad solder joints are rare. Any ideas where an issue with only one side of the rear channel would tend to be located?

I don't have the diagram for this amp and am not familiar enough with it to guide you through troubleshooting.

If you can find a diagram for it, you'll have to trace the signal through it to find where it's being lost.

I was hoping that this type of intermittent issue had a cause that was most likely to narrow it down a bit.

Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can find a schematic and in the meantime move on to another broken amp of mine that may be easier to fix.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.