Hifonics BXi 2610D High Idle Current

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Received this amp with the complaint of running hot and reduced output power. First thing I checked was the power supply which is in good working order, checked the outputs to see if any had failed, they all checked OK. Idle current of the amp is around 16-18 amps. With the outputs removed the idle current is around .5 amps. Originally the drive signal for the outputs where distorted slightly and did not appear to be fulliy turning the outputs on and off. Removed the audio driver board and replaced q11, q7, q19, and q22 as well as checking all the resistors and 8 larger drive transistors on the board. Everything checked out OK. Pulled all the original outputs to check them out of the board, they all test OK. With one output installed in each of the 4 banks idle current is around 2.5 amps. Once the board is fully populated the idle current is back to 16-18 amps.

I feel like I'm running in circles with this one. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should look for next in this amp?

Has any one delt with similar issues? I tried out a new set of outputs and still get the same result. Idles ok with one in each bank but when fully populated idle current is high. I can not rule out the driver board by sealing with a known good one because I don't have on. My next step might be to do that though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.