Caught on fire - Phoenix Gold Outlaw

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all.

Currently working on a disaster of an amp - Phoenix Gold Outlaw.
As you can see from images below - this doesn't look good.

20150511_211641780_iOS.jpg
20150520_160050995_iOS.jpg

The M50 board is totally gone - at least for me. Waiting for a spare board.
The M100 board does turn on - but the amp/board itself produce a high pitch tone.
Not sure where to start troubleshooting this one.
I've put together two videos on Youtube. First one showing the power on after cleaning the board. I did power it on without a heatsink - with bias turned all the way down on both ch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F15eWxlCyaE

Since I was getting a clean wave with my portable scope - and no offset (< 5mV both ch) - I then recorded the second video with music playing. Board heatsinked and rebiased. Hopefully you'll hear the same as me.
The sound/tone reminds me of hearing tests in my youth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJFBfsrq0ME

Any ideas?

Sorry all for this late update - been busy as hell these last weeks.

Thank you all for you input.

So - the high pitch sound is no more present in the M100 board. I believe it has to do something with conductivity as mbates mentioned, as I've not changed anything on the board other than the input caps and verifying the rail caps with my ESR meter. Cleaned the board with isopropyl (it looks far better - but not 100%) - focusing on mounting area of nearly every component. Hopefully it cured it - time will tell.

What remains now is to figure out the popping sound through the speakers when applying remote power.

I also believe this board is a total loss. It does play - but the smell from the M50 fire is still noticable when it heats up. I'll have to talk to the owner on what to do :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.