JL Audio 500/5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Agree, sorry for any confusion. Would the fact that something on the 15 volt power source drawing excessive current cause the snubber resistor to run hot enough to burn the solder joint, or is it more likely that the amp is drawing excessive current because the transformer or FET is damaged?

Sounds good, I'd appreciate that. The pin of the transformer that is tied to the FET appears to have also gotten a bit warm at some point. The amps +\-15 volts measures -16 and only positive 13. Is it possible to jump pins on the 10 pin header to trick the amp into powering up without the preamp board?

I guess it would depend in how much of the amp you want to function. You may be able to apply 12v to the input of the 5v reg to get the low voltage section to function but I've never tried that.

If you're going to work on JL amps, you need to make a set of jumpers to link the preamp and main boards. They save a lot of time.

Agree, I'll get the materials for jumper cables as I have a feeling they will be needed in trying to sort this amp out. With the driver cards removed the amp draw is less but still too high, the +\-15 is at -15 and +13.3. I'll let you know once I have the jumpers and resume troubleshooting this amp. Thanks again for the help.

The power light working intermittently was traced down to a solder joint that had failed, seemed like many of them near the power connector were in need of fresh solder. Probed around on the opamps and the signal in and out of them look pretty noisy.

I thought I remembered seeing a place in the tutorial about building some preamp board jumpers, do you happen to know off hand what section it is in?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.