rookie needs help! (hifonics 200.2 X14 car amp) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Old 29th April 2015, 06:58 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
Default rookie needs help! (hifonics 200.2 X14 car amp)

Does anyone have suggestions for why this amp is not working? See below.

- Specs: 2001 chevy s10 extended cab pickup, Pioneer DEH150 head unit, Hifonics Brutus 200.2 X14, Boss 4 gauge amplifier kit, subwoofer #1 = MTX 8 inch in factory box (includes tweeter with sub), subwoofer #2 = pioneer 8 inch in custom box
- Problem: no sound to subwoofers. Amp has power - power light stays on (it was flickering with a bad ground connection, but all seems good now)
- Subs: tested and both work (both MTX and Pioneer play by connecting directly to head unit speaker wire)
- Ground wire: connected to jack storage metal at base of back of extended cab (jack storage metal is welded to frame of car)
- Power to battery: connected and good
- Remote turn on: connected to blue/white wire coming out of head unit, per head unit instructions
- Test 1: try different rca cable from head unit out to amplifer in. Result: still no sound from subwoofers
- Test 2: plug ipod into amp directly (rca to headphone jack cord). Result: sound comes through MTX speaker only, and plays through sub and tweeter. Not very loud, but sound comes through clearly (high’s and low’s).
- Test 3: try new head unit (another Pioneer DEH 150). Result: still no sound from subwoofers

It seems at this point the amp is my problem, no?
Old 29th April 2015, 10:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
It sounds like the crossover is set to high-pass and blocking all low frequency signals.
Old 1st May 2015, 08:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
Default Thanks

Perry - thanks. You pointed me in the right direction - settings, not hardwared My input level on the amp was set to low (and only tweaked in the beginning by turning half way or so) in fear of blowing something. Once I turned it all the way up I get sound. I suppose my head unit is not very powerful.

Thanks again!

Hide this!Advertise here!