Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2004, 08:54 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Sord_Fish
Default can car speakers be used in home audio

hi guys just woundering if any of you could help me out

I have aquired a car speaker set the ones that fill the boot up with two 12" subwoofers and just woundered if i could add them to my home audio setup?

i am hoping to buy a 5.1 amplifyer from argos and take the electronics out the sub box and build my own with the new subs. Also i have some better speakers for the left and right channels, would the amp be able to power them all?

is any of this posible and a is it worth putting effort into?
Old 7th February 2004, 03:30 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Yes the subs will work
To what extent-depends,you maybe lucky. The box is proly too small,u wont get lows. ,,so then u need winisd pro,and t/s specs

5.1 amps tend to have glorified ratings,with tiny PS so cant actualy power ALL amps to rating,all at once. but if its 50w/channel it will do 'something' with the subs.

u can buy plate amps for cheap in USA....good for 4ohm subs.

Cheers
Old 7th February 2004, 03:35 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Chris8sirhC
The first speaker i ever build was a home t sub that used a car subwoofer. This was before i even knew about the whole diy audio thing. I didnt even know you could get hometheater subs to build with. I recently tested out my new sub that uses a dayton audio dvc 15'' sub, and the new one sounds infinitly more clear and deep that the other one. The previous one had a very distinctive muddy sound to it, but it was alot better than the piece of crap sub that came with my cheap home theater in a box set (i think it used like a 6'' or 8'' in a bandpass or ported box). Depending on how much you can get for the subs you got, i would maby think about selling those and buying a nice home theatre sub. Just my two cents.

Hide this!Advertise here!