Rockford Fosgate Punch 200a4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Check the transistors marked 1a and 2a in the channel. Also check the diodes marked 5d and a7.

I am assuming you have checked the switches, a lot of dirty switches have caused a lot of problems.

Switches/pots in car amps rarely have a chance to get dirty. Any switch should be a slide, all pots are encased in the heatsink and usually under a beauty cover as well. I have yet to find dirt in a car audio amp without a fan in it, and I don't think this Rockford has one.

Last edited:
'Dirty' doesn't necessarily mean dust. Contacts get dirty through oxidation.

If you have never seen dirt in a passively cooled amp, you must work in an up-market area. I've seen amps that I couldn't read anything on the board from dust. Other amps have insect infiltration. I had an amp in the last couple of days with multiple cockroaches and extensive evidence that they were there for a while.

I have received several amps over the years with dirty or defective pots and switches. A lot of amps I see are very dirty inside especially the ones with fans. The worst ones are from the heavy smokers, the board stinks like a dusty ash tray.....lol

I made note of this.

I do work in a very upscale area, people here keep their cars clean. I have never seen oxidation on even very old car amplifiers sufficient to cause a defect. There is a surcharge for smoke damage, as that brown film has to be cleaned from EVERYTHING and it is disgusting. Especially the resinous film of marijuana smoke.

The contacts of many switches are plated with silver. Silver oxidizes with nothing more than contact with the atmosphere.The attached image shows one example.

Attachments

• IMG_0310bx.jpg
    IMG_0310bx.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 64
The contacts of many switches are plated with silver. Silver oxidizes with nothing more than contact with the atmosphere.The attached image shows one example.

I'm not saying corrosion is some sort of impossibility, just that it has never caused a problem in a car amp I have worked on. So to help guide the OP with my experience I am suggesting that dirt is probably not the cause of the problem. Still no reason not to refurbish the switches etc. but I doubt that is the source of trouble. It usually is in home audio, usually isn't in car audio.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.