Converting a car amp to home amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
as the topic says, im interested in doing this -- ive been into car audio much longer than tinkering with HT stuff, and i have a few car sub amps id like to convert (if possible).. i assume the simplest way would be to make a huge 12vdc supply and simply feed the car amp, but that seems like it would not be cost effective and converting from 120vac to 12vdc to smps to +/-DC is a waste and ineffecient -- would it be possible to measure the dc rails of the amp, and simply get a transformer for the +/- rail voltage and bypass the amp's SMPS?? and if that is possible, will the amps internal options (like crossovers etc) still work, or are their functions derived from the primary 12v? no i do not have schematics for any amp i am considering, this is just a general question -- has any1 ever done this before or is it just a crazy idea, tia

-chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.