this question directed to skinnyboy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
dude i've read ur posting and i see the you are well knowledged w/ car audio setups... i have question.... here is my scenario.. i recently bought a 1990 Acura Integra GS 4 Door changed the alteranator before i got new audio system. brand new alternator, and I bought an amp 'Kole Audio' model 960 i guess meaning 960 amps u can check the website for its specs www.koleaudio.com amp is q-series i think its 120 watts pers channel and its 4-channel im not really familiar w/ the specs.. but that should be it.. and i have an aiwa latest version single den, 2 channel and 2 front 200 watts each max peak 'matrix speakers' and rear i have 400 watts each max peak 'precision audio' sounds really good. i dont have any subs i left car like that i dont want subs makes me deaf.. now i've been having car problems my coil burned out.. i had the installation done professionally *paid* by a renown company proline ever heard of it?. well any how is my setup configured wrong? please reply.:confused:

referring to my issue

basically will i damage my car if i have a 960 watt total on my car even though im not blasting it.. i have it well grounded and connected to the battery with a fuse near it, and the coil that is assembled with the distributor for the car burned out is the amp the cause....... or is it just the coil that gave way.. i have to change the whole piece i just want to know if that is the cause for damage and even if then when that is fixed*today* will this amp damage me alterantor which i think is just 70 amps or coil again if that was the problem.. and if you want specs on me amp go here http://www.koleaudio.com/products_amplifiers_q.html ....please help me out i have the q4-960 am i doing anything wrong!!

Re: referring to my issue

albooogie said:
basically will i damage my car if i have a 960 watt total on my car even though im not blasting it.. i have it well grounded and connected to the battery with a fuse near it, and the coil that is assembled with the distributor for the car burned out is the amp the cause....... or is it just the coil that gave way.. i have to change the whole piece i just want to know if that is the cause for damage and even if then when that is fixed*today* will this amp damage me alterantor which i think is just 70 amps or coil again if that was the problem.. and if you want specs on me amp go here http://www.koleaudio.com/products_amplifiers_q.html ....please help me out i have the q4-960 am i doing anything wrong!!

960 watts (lets say 1000 watts) at say 13 volts (which is abit low, and would normally be higher when the engine is running) means your alternator will need to be able to give somewhere around 75amps..... now, this doesn't mean that you will damage your alternator, it means that with heavy bass the alternator voltage will drop and put a load on the battery..... BUT!!! I don't think you will ever be drawing 75amps from the alternator, and even is you do, it would only be for a fraction of a second.... you shouldn't have killed your alternator.... not unless there was something wrong with it, or it was just plain cheap.... anyone care to confirm this?? lol and STOP confirming my lack of a gf :p lol

skinny you've been a real help

ok to sum this up what should i do to my system like what modifications should i do to my car and audio system to make sure everything is ok i have Kole Audio amp q4-960 2 front speakers totaling 400 watts peak and 2 rear totaling 800 watts peak and a 70 amp alternator as per autozone and a small prostart batter 12 v lol and soon to have a new coil what suggestions do you guys have? and i dont want big sound should i leave it as is? and see what happens after i put the new coil? i do plan to buy a 150 amp alternator this summer talk to me guys im new at this. and i love my tegra i'll smoke any car at turns :) :D :D :D :devilr: :devilr: :bawling:

Over Voltage ?

Your ignition coil may have failed by coincidence, or if the output voltage of your alternator is too high....this would likely also boil your battery, so you need to check battery voltage with the engine running/charging immediately you get it running again.
Also check the voltage to the ignition system with the audio system running reasonably hard.

Eric.

the general rule in car audio is to look at the alternator and battery. these are important for more power. headlight dimming is usually caused by droping the voltage at the battery by passing too much current.

the HU amp is also not a huge concern. i'm not sure the kole amp is either. it seems a little small for the power rating. my 900 watt amp is a massive aluminum brick, though it's not made for efficiency... it is 19" long and about 3-4" tall with a very good size heatsink.

if you need upgrades to the electrical, the cheapest is the "big 3", which refer to the wireing under the hood. go to www.carsound.com and search the forums.

larger gauge power wire is an option if the amps are starving...

next is a new alternator and a new battery.

after this you generally get into dual battery or dual alternator setups.

dude ur know ur stuff, lol omg.. my lights are not dimming out.. my alternator is 70 amps.. i have kole 960 watts.. i pushed it today on regular inside cabin speakers... i dont have a woofer in the trunk all is well.... any suggestions... should i still upgrade the alterator .. but imust change the battery... i have no problems so far.. tell me am i ok?

ok, just did a small amount of checking. the amp looks like it could prduce the advertised peak power and RMS powers listed, so i guess it is good.

IMO, most people want bass, and it's been my experience that a single 10 or 12 will accomplish this. there is a gain knob that allows you to get a more desirable level of bass. a woofer just goes lower then 6x9s, you've got better control of the rear-wave, along with a normally heavier cone, and then enough displacement where it counts.

in anycase, glad to hear you got it fixed. unless you add a signifigant amount of power to the setup, i wouldn't worry about electrical upgrades.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.