Butler ? Tube Driven amp/s For free. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2004, 12:58 AM   #1
selvol is offline selvol  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Butler ? Tube Driven amp/s For free.

Hello, I am seeking a schematic for a butler td1250. I can not find anything on the amp. I
Found the TUBE DRIVER TD275 and believe it is 1 in the same.

I am offering anyone that can assist me with schematics for this amp or similar. A New OLd Stock PCB like the ine pictured in the link below. Which is the amp I need info on.
I am not below given two in exchange for vital info.

Below are two images I took. And the 3rd is a PDF of a amp I am almost positive was made by the same company.

THank you

http://www.sketchlab.com/butler/butlerlg.jpg
http://www.sketchlab.com/butler/logo.jpg
http://www.sketchlab.com/butler/ltd275.pdf
Old 27th January 2004, 04:11 PM   #2
JCoffey is offline JCoffey  United States
diyAudio Member

Are you looking to build one yourself, or repair one that you already have? I've not been able to find much info at all on my Tube Driver 750's that I own. (they were the forerunners to the 275s)
Old 27th January 2004, 10:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to dunderchief
Gimme a couple days, I might be able to dig something up.
Old 27th January 2004, 10:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The original Tube Drivers were made by PPI, and it looks as though the info you've got is on the PPI versions. Do you know how old the boards you have are? You didn't happen to buy a whole lot of them from someone off the car audio forums did you? www.tubedriver.com is the websight for Butler, but I believe that the 1250 was actually a PPI amp. I've written them and since they are no longer made they seem to be resonably forthcoming with info on the design. Hope that helps. Send me an email, I may be interested in purchasing a board, even if I can't find you a schematic.
Old 28th January 2004, 12:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Ok, so I've found the manual and it is indeed a PPI amp. Sweet old amps by the way. It can be found at:

http://www.precisionpower.com/ppipdf...ual/td1250.pdf

Once again, I think they may be resonably cooporative about info regarding the amp since they no longer produce them, or even own the name.
Old 28th January 2004, 01:07 AM   #6
selvol is offline selvol  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Thst is the manual.

http://www.precisionpower.com/ppipdf...ual/td1250.pdf

Is the manual. It exaxtly like the 2150 manual exept the output specs.

What I am trying to do is finish a few. I got them from a friend who know nada about them. They power up, warm up, and tubes lite up.

Can someone tell me how bright the tubes should be? I mean these are dim. I could not guide my way through a dark hall or even see the pcb 3" from the tubes if I were in the dark.

1 think also on a few boards there is a small PSB about 1" x 3/4"
Labeled "Savior MK 1". It is a free standing board connected by 6 wire. They seem to be a by-pass or alt. route for a f ew resistors on caps that are clearly not installed on the main board.

I like the manual and appreciate it.
And still hold up my offer of now 2 boards to the person who can give me the schematics or words to help me get full operation of a board.

Thank you
Old 28th January 2004, 01:54 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dunderchief
The original Tube Drivers were made by PPI, and it looks as though the info you've got is on the PPI versions. Do you know how old the boards you have are? You didn't happen to buy a whole lot of them from someone off the car audio forums did you? www.tubedriver.com is the websight for Butler, but I believe that the 1250 was actually a PPI amp. I've written them and since they are no longer made they seem to be resonably forthcoming with info on the design. Hope that helps. Send me an email, I may be interested in purchasing a board, even if I can't find you a schematic.
Actually, PPI was the 3rd group to make them, and the PPI version was not the same as the origional Butler design that he , and then Phaze audio produced. BK didnt like what PPI had done with his name and design so he got it all back, and now is producing the Tube Driver Blue. The 750 and 1500 models where the orginal That Butler and Phaze created.....
Old 7th February 2004, 08:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Turboegt
He is right. Butler was the ones that did the first design and man. of the Tube Driver amps.

The tubes run fairly dim. The design calls for then to be running the only a % of there rated plate voltage so that they will hold up better to car audio dumps and potholes.

I have 9 2150s, 8 in one car being water cooled, one backup.

I am an electronics tech by trade and i will search, turn over some stones and see if I can come up with something for you and me both.
Old 9th February 2004, 07:34 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hey Turbo,
Have you ever done any repair work on the TDs? I've got a dead one thats killing me...
Old 9th February 2004, 07:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

So I've been talking with both the tech's at PPI and BK Butler himself. There's some argument as to who actually owns the schematics to the PPI tubedrivers. PPI claims that when Butler bought back the rights to the name that he also received all materials pertaining to the designs. Mr. Butler on the other hand has no knowledge of the actual schematics of the PPI design, but does indeed own the name and all the rights. He says he knows where to aquire the schematics and I'm waiting to hear back from him.

Hide this!Advertise here!