Hifonics BRZ 2100.1D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I picked this amp up cheap and planned on doing a repair. However this one has me puzzled a bit.

Condition when I received it:
Power supply FETS and gate resistors were mostly smoked, I believe there were 2 resistors out of the 12 that were not burned. Someone had replaced one of the power supply gets with a diode, caused a bit of damage to the pcb in that area. the audio side had 3 shorted outputs.

So far I've replaced the power supply drivers, gate resistors, lets and other misc. resistors that had failed. Removed all the FETS from the audio side. Powered the amp up and checked that the power supply gate resistors had a nice square signal. Put the new FETS in the power and the amp was drawing over 10 amps on power up with audio side components still removed.

Powering the amp through a car bulb so my supply wouldn't shut down, the drive signal to the power supply FETS stays clean but they get warm pretty quickly and the Main rail caps make almost a boiling sound. I removed the diodes and powered the amp up and the over current condition has gone away. I checked the diodes and they seemed to be OK.

Is it possible the main rail caps are somehow shorted? Has anyone seem anything like this on a hifonics amp?

Is there a way to make the audio side pulse the outputs without them installed. Probably should have checked the drive signal before I put them in. The 9640's heat up rapidly and I got about 25 volts on the output before I shut it down, never did see any drive pulses on the gate resistors on the 9640 side or the 064 side.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.