Need help diagnosing amp - pop - static on turn on

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I have an old school Hifonics VIII that works, but gives out a pop when it is turned on. After that the music basically fizzles to life like it has tubes. This process is about 4 or 5 seconds long. At that point it sounds great.

It does this on the bench too, so the problem is 100% internal. Any ideas? I found a cap that was a little swollen. I replaced it and there was no difference. Maybe a couple drivers are going bad? I noticed on the bench that a couple of them get hot pretty quick.

Yeah model would help. Sorry. It is a Europa. When I power it on, the speakers have a lot of movement, hence the pop. If I have a audio source connected the signal starts very faint and increases to full volume after a few seconds. This is on all 4 channels. Not sure if any DC is bleeding into the outputs but I can check.

The distorted start was somewhat common. The muting transistors are driven with a signal that slowly goes from 0v to -15v. During that time, the transistor conducts less and less (towards 15v) but still clamps the audio to some degree. With most head units, there will be a short mute delay for the audio and the distorted audio won't be an issue. That part may not need to be repaired or may be normal for this amp.

The pop is something else that we'll have to try to troubleshoot.

I fixed it! There was a 470uf cap that ran between the 16v rails that was bad. Also, a -16v lead that ran between the source and the power LED intersected at the cap and was damaged. That explained the lack of power LED. I soldered in some wire to reconnect those connections. Now the amp turns on with no pop, the LED comes on, and although the audio still fades in, it does so with no distortion. Happy days!!!!

On top of this, I fixed a bad Lanzar Opti Drive Plus 100. I got it working about a year ago after finding it had a bad thermistor, but it only ran on one channel. Tonight I found a bad ground lead on one of the mosfets. Fixed that and it is working too. WOO!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.