advantage of modding factory deck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
greetings all,

My question is twofold.

I currently use a CD car adapter to play my ipod thru my factory tape deck. Mp3s are encoded w/ Lame 192kps, and they sound OK thru the car adapter. Question is, would there be any benefit to hard-wiring a 1/8 stereo input to the head unit? Would it sound significantly better than using the CD car adapter?

2. If so, at what point should I solder the input connections? Right after the tape deck head?

any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated--

grasshoppa

Definitely don't connect to the tape head input, that's real high gain and equalized for tape playback. Assuming it's an analog unit, high level inputs are usually made in the area of the volume control. Whether that's before or after the tone controls depends on the design (kinda need a schematic to be sure).

Dunno if the overall results would be better than what you have now. Maybe it's time for a new deck?

its time for a new car actually. Rather than drop 5-800 on a new deck and drivers, wanted to rig up something until the summer.

In theory, it seems like I would gain fidelity when bypassing the tape deck head inputs, sending an analog line input directly to the amplification stage. Seemingly, I could also bypass volume control as the mp3 player has volume control. And it would be fun. Was curious to know if anyone had experience doing something similiar to this.

wb

Yes, many times

I modded my first car deck at age 12 or a CD input on the front panel of a Chrysler minivan radio. It was cool at the time.

Since then I have built preamps with 8VRMS four channel output right into the chassis of factory radios.

Don't mess with the tape head, the head circuitry is noisy and super high gain. Go directly to the audio chip and its input coupling capacitors. Connect a DPDT switch to the capacitors and cut the traces leading to the rest of the radio circuits. Then solder a length of shielded wire between the switch and the audio amp/capacitors and to a 1/8" stereo jack for your MP3 unit.

Good luck - it works well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.