Lost sound from subs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Heres the stereo I have set up--
Head Unit- Alpine 9833 (8gauge to front battery)
Amp- Hifonics brz1200.1d (hooked to a secondary battery in the trunk 4 gauge power/grounds)
Subs- rf p3 12" (wired to 1 ohm)

For the last year I have had this same system hooked up with no changes at all, everything was set with a test tone & meter. Out of no where last Sunday I noticed that when I turned the head unit over 10 for volume (or bass knob close to half way or more) that my subs would distort & lose 1/2-3/4ths power. I turned off the subs from the head unit til I got a chance to look at it.

I got a chance tonight to look at it, so I tried swapping rca wires from sub out to front & rear out with no luck. Then I tried different rca wires (sub/front/rear) with no luck. My amp does turn on & light up, never went into protect mode. The head unit functions fine with everything else, the amp worked fine before this. Any idea of what to try next to determine if its the rca's on the head unit or the amp?

Last edited:
Well after trying a 2nd set of rca wires on all 3 outputs of the head unit with no luck, trying a 2nd amp with no luck. I ended up checking voltage of the rca wires & had 4 volts. Tried another amp still no sound, checked secondary battery in the trunk & it was only 9 volts. Swapped it out & its back working fine again.

I don't know, when I checked the connections they were all good. All I did was take out my trunk battery & replace it with another I had laying around. Started the car up & subs were working fine again. I did check the trunk battery connections & fuses before swapping them but they were all good. I even double checked my 8 gauge power wire for my head unit & that was good. Atleast it was only changing a battery instead of replacing head unit or amp to get them working again.

You sure that doesn't sound right. The bad trunk battery with a dead cell reads 9 volts, if it can only hold 9 volts it wouldn't let the amp pull more from the front if the back can't handle it. I don't know though all I did was change power/ground to another battery & its working fine. Maybe I'll put 3 batteries in line and see if it'll pull off the front 2 good ones to see

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.