+Butler Tube Driver amp problem update Need help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fist off I'd like to thank those that offered for me to send in the amp and them repair it. Unfortunately my email account closed and I lost your emails. If you'd like to extend the offer again, email me at jonathan.coffey@engelhard.com
Here is my first post on it:
First link
Ok, after having it sit here for a couple months, I desided to hook it up to a 12v 11 amp UPS battery on my workbench to see if it will power on with no load . IT DOES!! I then desided to connect a small home speaker to it to put a load on it, and connect a signal from my sound card. With or without the RCa cables conected all I get is a medium volume constant whine. Imagine RFI noise caused by an alternator. No sound other than the whine. It now sounds like there may be a short somewhere with the Sub it was connected to, but I'll have to get under the car and unbolt the box in order to pull it out and get undernieth where the wires are connected. (Gotta Love JL audio's ease of instalation with thier Stealthboxes) Any thoughts or ideas now as to what the issue is with the amp making this noise?

Basicly, it's not preally powering on, and there is no sound. I checked the diodes, and they all tested fine, so at this point I'm not sure what the prob could be. It was playing and just went out. No burned chips, resistors, etc. No visible failures anywhere....

The last pin of the PWM chip(either 14 or 16) is the protect. Hi resests the chip. Pull a lead of that resistor(straight across) I think it is a 2.2k and remove the 6pin cable that is connected between the tubes. That cable provides power for the audio section. With the protection resistor up and the cable disconnected, you can troubleshoot the power supply section and make sure you aren't getting a HI at that pin.

The tubes don't glow that bright because he is using a lower plate voltage tho operate them.

OK, I'll check that out. And to me honest I didnt think they glowed at all with the level they are run at, and thats why he has a small light bulb behind them to make it look like they're glowing. Once I saw the bulb I thought about swapping ti to make my own TD Blue, lol

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.