modeling x-over with spaced points, to create a dip in the response.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello there, I originally posted this in the multi-way fourms, figuring someone there would likely have the means to help... but I noticed this fourm this morning and decided to try here...
Original post:

This is a car audio project, and as is my norm, is being designed to follow the equal loudness curve. Ok, this is the system's basic setup:
Rear channels;6.5" silver flute wool cone 4ohm playing 160hz- 1.5khz
2" Hivi dome midrange playing 1.5khz- 8khz
1" soft dome Lanzar tweeter playing 8khz+
Crossovers are 2nd order bessel alignment, Rc networks, parallel notch filters -5db @ 4.5khz
Front channels;*
6.5" silver flute playing 125hz- 4.5khz
3/4" soft dome pioneer tweeters playing 4.5khz+
X-overs*TBD. See end.
Bass;8" silver flute's In ported box's tuned to 60hz playing 65hz- 160hz using 2nd order active x-overs
Sub-bass;8" sundown audio SA-8v2's passive radiator box tuned to 22hz playing 20hz-80hz 2nd order active x-over.

The various frequency overlaps are corrections for known responce dips in either the drivers as installed or inherent to the car as I have tested 4 of this model ( 80's 300zx) in the years past.
I hand build my x-overs, and wind my own inductors.
Eventually I will likely build a set of active crossovers and install some more amps to bi/tri amp the setup, but for now it will stay passive.
Instead of building another set of notch filters for the front 2way setup I want to space the x-over points to create the wanted dip. But I can't seem to figure out exactly what slope and points will give me the right dip...
I was looking at 3khz Lp 2nd order and 5.5khz Hp 3rd order.Or 5khz Hp 4th order...if anyone has a way to model these and tell me if it looks ok I would appreciate it... I am looking for 4.5- 6db down @ about 4 - 4.5khz with about a 1st order slope or less.

Brad.

I can model each individual x-over but I don't have a way to compare the system together. Basically I can model one and see where it's down at what frequency, but not see the result of the two together to decide on the spaceing of the points or the slope to get the effect I want, short of building them and testing their response... I would prefer to have a starting point so I don't end up building 20 x-overs to get it right...

The parallel notch filter I am using on the rear ch is:
3.92ohm
19.28uf
.083mH
Filter F3l-2850hz, F3h-5500hz tuneing center 3975hz @-5.5db.
Tested speaker f3l -3050hz F3h-5450hz max damping 4150hz @ -4.9db from referance point without filter.
All are the measured values for my right rear channel. I can always build another set for the front but whenever possible I like to use the least componets I can to get the desired result.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.