help a noob design a car system - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st August 2014, 03:46 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default help a noob design a car system

Noob here wanting to upgrade my 97 nissan pathfinder system. I upgrade a few years ago with pioneer 5-1/4 coaxial front doors, and polk 6-1/4 coaxials rear doors. From the start I didn;t like the polks-they sounded muffled and at a lower volume then the pioneer fronts but did(as raved about in reviews on amazon) have a deeper tone but had to fade the fronts to hear it and then no detail. Now the factory head unit is acting up -the volume knob does its own thing when i touch it. try turn it up it cuts out or goes down, etc. So i go to crutchfield and review new head units. they rec'd an Alpine ute-52BT for bluetooth from my phone and SQ all around. Price under $140. Then I find that stock has factory amps and they recomend bypassing, then I wonder if the sometimes clear highs are from the front tweets and not from the pioneer coaxials? ANd if bypassed would I loose that? I love clean articulate sound and soundstage. I must have my symbols and snare drum, etc. So, what it boild down to is i need advice: What would you do to get great clean sound for an suv? #1 head unit with usb, bluetooth for hands free phone and pandora music from phone Around $150. #2 add amp (alpine has a piggyback amp with 45wrms per channel around $120 #3 new speakers (components?), say around $100 a pair/ Then add a subwoofer and another amp $? If you had to do it in stages due to budget, what would you buy and how would you buy first and thereafter to achieve the end goal? what products would you reccomend? Be specific, please. I listen to mostly jazz, blues, classic rock, reggae. then everything else. I have built a couple of home speakers. Zaphs b3n full range and crossover. Sounds amazing but cant handle any bass without distortion, and Paul C overnight sensations. 2 way, much more bass but at sacrafices to other fz's. Thanks for reading and any advice is much appreciated.
Old 21st August 2014, 04:02 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

ps; I like Zaphs fillosophy of value. Realistic outcomes or more bang for the buck. so with that in mind build a system that sound is the uttmost importance but that economy is the rule. thanks i value your opinions.
can home designed drivers be used effectively in auto?
Old 21st August 2014, 12:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

no suggestions? I tried searching for info but couldn't find . Guess that it is not a popular subject. I see some that say help....I have an xxxx head unit and what do you suggest? i thought I would ask first before getting a new head unit.
Old 21st August 2014, 02:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I like alpine head units.And for highs I like alpine type R's.Been using both for years.
Old 21st August 2014, 03:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

thanks Trivium. I was worried that Alpine had lost their reputation from the 70's as a high end supllier

Hide this!Advertise here!