JL Audio Output Inductor - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th July 2014, 03:06 AM   #1
jlind54 is offline jlind54  United States
diyAudio Member

Default JL Audio Output Inductor

I was wondering if anyone had taken the time to try and rewind any output filter choke on the JL Audio amps. If so how successful was the rewind? Is it possible to find something off-the-shelf that is close enough to match the original? Most class D amps I've ever seen use a toroid style not a E style on the output.
Old 8th July 2014, 03:45 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here in Venezuela the rewind, and fit, and are toroids are easier to fix, you just have to take into account the rotation of the wire, because if you invest will not serve, greetings from Venezuela
Old 8th July 2014, 11:53 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Are you asking for curiosity's sake or do you have one that you know to be defective?
Old 8th July 2014, 03:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

A bit of both actually, I picked up an amp pretty cheap that I can salvage driver boards and other components if fixing them is to difficult or expensive to be economical. If fixing or replacing them turns easy and relatively cheap I would probably keep this one for myself .
Old 8th July 2014, 04:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

To clarify, it's an inductor, not a transformer.

Try PM'ing wrenchone. His profile states that he's a switching PS engineer. He would be able to definitively tell you what would be needed.

Information from the amp.

* Frequency of oscillation: 58kHz (seems low but the amp appears to be in good working order)
* Maximum voltage: 82v
* Current: 500 watts into 4 and 1.5 ohms
* Measured inductance of original inductor: 60uH (2 measured, 59uH for one, 61uH for the other)
* Wire used: 2 strands of 18g

You have to consider core material as well. For example. molypermalloy cores run cooler but cost more than others (which generally tend to run hotter). You have to decide what's most important. There are always tradeoffs.

Last edited by Perry Babin; 8th July 2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 9th July 2014, 03:18 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Inductor
Is there a reason a toroid type like the link above couldn't be put in place of the bobbin type that is used?
Old 9th July 2014, 03:32 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

The shape of the core isn't important as long as the replacement fits but I don't know that finding one that handles the current and has the right inductance makes it a good replacement. That's why I suggested that you PM that user. A magnetics engineer could fill in a lot of blanks.
Old 9th July 2014, 04:01 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I've sent a PM as I'm curious to know more about the subject. I've looked through a bunch of info on the web, but haven't found much solid info yet. As always, thanks again for the advice.
Old 9th July 2014, 04:09 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

The CWSbytemark site has a lot of reading material.
Old 11th July 2014, 04:15 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I would say its safe to say this inductor is pretty useless. I'm not sure I entirely understand what would cause that and the capacitor on the outputs of a 500/5 to get so hot. The capacitor made a huge mess of things and is going to take a while to get everything all cleaned up. Is it possible that the core of the inductor is still OK and can be salvaged?

If its salvageable it doesn't look like it would be too bad of a task to rewind with the 6 strands of wire and have it look almost normal. But then again I've never attempted to wind something on a bobbin like this.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by jlind54; 11th July 2014 at 04:19 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!