Kicker KX1200.1 No output w/ Pics - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th May 2014, 03:27 AM   #1
AbaZ is offline AbaZ  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Kicker KX1200.1 No output w/ Pics

Hello, I am a newb and was hoping for some help. I'll be the first person to say I am not the greatest with electronics, but I know basics. I have a old KX1200.1 (I have 3 of these amps) One day one of my amps stopped working. No output to sub. I bench tested it with same result. No protection light, (Green light comes on, and relay clicks on) I opened up the amp and looked around didnt see anything obvious. I did notice a little sub board where the RCA's come in (has the 3 little adjustment knobs on it), I took that board out and found some corrosion where the 5 pin connector meets the main board, I cleaned it up, and still no good. I took apart one of my good amps and swapped in a known good sub board. Turned it back on and the amp works perfect. So its not a issue with the main board. I suspected it was something with the RCA inputs, I ohm checked them all from top to bottom of the boards and they look ok, but after that I don't know where else to look. I also noticed that if I use the "Amp Strapping input" as a source the amp works fine.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0186.jpg (454.2 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0187.jpg (436.0 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0188.jpg (398.1 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0189.jpg (342.2 KB, 86 views)
Old 26th May 2014, 03:54 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Several things to look for. The first is C123. It opens leaving little or no audio output.

The second is a burned trace leading to the shields of the RCAs very near where JA01 is printed on the board.

There is a trace that leads from R116 that passes under the potentiometer next to it. The frame of the pot sometimes shorts to that trace.

The last thing is the frame leg of one of the pots trying to drive itself through the case of one of the filter capacitors under the board.
Old 26th May 2014, 07:06 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your response, I spent about a hour closely looking at the 4 areas you mentioned above, and to my eyes and with my cheap meter and my kids magnifying glass they all look good. I wouldnt know how to repair a trace anyway but they look good. I just kept ohm checking from each point to point. I was hoping for something easy like a cracked solder or something. I don't know what else to do. Is there anyone on here that does in-expensive repairs? Could I send it to you to check out? Thanks again,
Jeff
Old 26th May 2014, 06:56 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'm not currently taking any repairs that have to be shipped to me.

Do you want to continue troubleshooting?
Old 26th May 2014, 07:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sure, I can try. like I said I don't have to much knowledge on this especially the terminology and probably not the best test equipment. But yea that would be great, thanks!

Jeff
Old 26th May 2014, 07:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

If you haven't done so already, read the basic amp repair page (all of it - link in sig line below). That will help with some of the most common terminology.

You'll need to be able to power up the amp, drive a signal into it and measure the voltage at various points. Do you have enough equipment to do that?
Old 26th May 2014, 07:31 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yup, I was kind of doing that last night but getting lost, I had 2 amps both being bench tested side by side and trying to see where I was loosing the signal at.
Old 26th May 2014, 08:36 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The output pins are the corner pins on the TL074s. Which of those pins have audio and which do not.

Did you try working the switch back and forth with a speaker connected to see if that allowed audio to pass (possibly intermittently) to the main board?
Old 27th May 2014, 04:59 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I checked both TL074 chips on all 4 corners, I am seeing audio outputs on all 8. I toggled the on/off switch several times, I do hear a "click" type noise though the speaker when the switch moves, also if I touch my finger to the VC pin (one of the 5 pins going down to the main board) the speaker also makes a "click" type noise. I tried gentlelly wiggling things around and messing with the potentiometers to see if I can get any noise and I cant seem to get anything. I also wanted to state the application in case that may make a difference. This Amp was in a boat for (8 years) and did see some moisture. Also I had poor grounds. I did see some corrosion on the 5 pin (upper and lower) side, that I tried cleaning off.

I appreciate you helping me diagnose this,
Old 27th May 2014, 05:29 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Do you have audio on pin 9 of U103?

Hide this!Advertise here!