truck audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Obviously space is an issue... 04 ford ranger. I have a few questions.

Suggestions for great door speakers that can put out some bass?

Does anyone sell a quality head unit that isn't the normal 45x4? Either 90x2 or bridgeable? Something that can power good door speakers other than another amp.

Suggestions for woofers?

You could use the preamp level output from the head unit to drive the amp. That would leave the head unit power available to be used (or not). That would give you the 45x4 of the amp plus the 20x4 of the head unit to use. In this configuration, you'd use the head unit outputs for speakers that require less power (tweeters, fill...).

If you had a head unit that didn't have preamp level outputs, you could drive the amp with the speaker outputs of the head unit. If you'd want to use the previous configuration with a head unit that didn't have preamp outputs, you could use a Line Output Converter.

There are (at least) two different versions of the power pack. One is designed to plug directly into alpine head units using the harness that is supplied with the 'A' version of the power pack.

The other is a universal design that's compatible with more types of head units.

I linked to the 'U' version. Having a compatible head unit would would allow easier installation but wouldn't be quite as configurable (which may or may not be an issue for the system you install). Go to the crutchfield site and search for 500KTP445. If you look at the photos of the two different versions, you can see the differences in the photos.

Bear in mind that this is only one option. Don't limit your search for amps to this amp. There may be better options.

actually, the difference of the power packs is just the connectors. it is an in-line speaker-level amp that plugs directly into (i think) white-plug (maybe black plug) alipne head units without splicing. many have just cut the wires and splice in for other head units anyways. there are also several "micro" amps that can do it with either line-level, or rca inputs. you have many options, all depending on how much space you are willing to give up. most popular option that works well, is an 8, or 10" single sub behind the seat. build a wedge box with the sub firing foreward at the bottm, middle of the box, and port @ 12sq in per cu ft, firing at the passenger wall. tune a little high, near 40hz as cabbin gain amplifies the lower frequency in a single cab compact, but also resonates real well near 100hz or so. another option is to fit either ib 8's in the door, or small-sealed in the kick-pannels. they sell q-logic or similar enclosures for just this. you can also find 6.5's that put out a decent amount in the low-end, or even 6x8's if that is the holes you have. there are many different options, only limited to your budget, space, and ability, or willingness.

what type of music do you listen to?

what type of system are you going for?

what is your budget?

what are your desires on use of space?

off the top of my head, as a big brand shelf-item, i can recommend either infinity reference, or jbl gto mids for thier high efficiency and good sound as being well-rounded both as full-range, or to complement a sub and head unit, or amplified.

I had a entry level system in my last car and was pleased with it. I had GTOs, they weren't ad, though I thought they lacked in the mid/low end department.

I listen to a wide variety of music, from electronic stuff with a lot of base to heavy metal. I just need something that sounds decent and has some kick to it.

As for space, I use the space behind my seat very often so would like to use up as little as possible. I was even thinking of building some sort of sub box that sits across the back in the 2 wells, holds/protects an amp and is solid enough to store things on top of it. With that said though, I still would like a sub or 2 that doesn't require a massive box.

Budget, fairly low. maybe around 500-700

what model gto's? last year i pitted the infinity ref. 6032cf against comperable gto's, seeing as they were virturally the ssame drivers, from the same manufacturer, and i found the gto's to have more in the low-mid and low, as a stand-alone, off head unit power. gave those to a friend for factory replacements (also bring them up because they are lower impedance without harming a 4ohm rated head...= +1 on power).... but first, are you willing to go with used? on a budget like that, you are likely going to be looking at 150-250 for a decent head that does what you want, and should get by with a hpf setting on the head. this will allow you to use the stock speakers longer, as i have many times, still sounding decent. the type of music you listen to would work best with a sealed enclosure, which is good for space. are you going to be doing the install/box build your self? i forgot to ask, but is it a single cab?
i have also done the blow-through/crawl-through systems, and the next one i want to do would be basically the bottom half of a cargo box, so it's hidden. however, those setups are usually reserved for ground-pounders

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.