confused teen in need of help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey forum dwellers,

I'm 16 and I have a 1987 Volvo 240 DL. I'm doing my best to have a quality sound system for as cheap as possible

What I have already done:

I got (what I think was) a deal on a pair of 6x9 Kenwood speakers (110 Watt) in boxes and they are in the back window. They sound great but I want more. I upgraded my stereo to a crappy $36 Boss stereo because I was only concerned about the aux connection. There are a pair of 25 watt 4'' Pioneer aftermarket speakers in the factory speaker location in the front doors. All four speakers are being powered by the crappy 4x50 Boss stereo and it actually sounds decent. But being the teen I am, I want MORE :) I want to bump, but I don't want to be the obnoxious kid who is driving around rattling his little piece of crap car. I've already spent a total of $116 on my speaker "system" and I don't want to spend much more. I figure I have options.

Some possibilities I have worked out in my head:

1) I can look for a low watt four channel amp, upgrade my 4 inch speakers to some nice Kenwoods, and put the big speakers and new speakers on the amp. No sub. No tweeters.

2) A two channel amp, a nice little sub in the trunk and leave the speakers alone. Maybe parallel wire some decent tweeters to the deck with my low watt 4'' speakers

I don't know what to do. I can't afford a new 5 channel amp along with new tweeters, new 4'' speakers, and 2 12'' subs. If I could I wouldn't be looking for help. Thank you for reading this!

It should be noted that I only have about $100 dollars MAX more to spend on this system for the time being. I will be getting a job in the summer when school and sports are done with so I might have a higher budget then. It should also be noted that I preferto purchase items online. My car is only worth $1000-3000 and I don't want to be putting a $400 speaker system inside. My large town/small city has very few pawn stores and if we have any, I've never heard of them or been in one. So that probably won't help me.

Joe

your budget is the main limiting factor.
volvo doors are not very deep, so this limits speaker choices.

my suggestion.

get a better head unit. pioneer make some pretty decent units for a modest price.

make a (12mm mdf) baffle/trim ring for the the front speakers and mount some better 4" coaxial speakers in the factory location.

get a small mono or stereo (bridgeable amp) for a single sub in the boot.

get a 10" sub for the boot.

wire the front speakers directly to the head units built in amplifier.

wire the sub amplifier to the rca outputs of the headunit.

All of this will cost way more than your $100 budget, but will give the best result for the lowest outlay.
You need to spend a little bit to get better results.

dont forget, when you change cars, you can take the gear out and move it to the next one.

finally. keep it simple. more speakers does NOT mean it will be better.

EDIT, when i was young, i had to start low and work my up too. all youngens do.
best advise i can give, dont keep buying items that are a little better each time. soooo much wasted money and time.
work out a plan, and get one decent bit at a time as you can afford it.

Last edited:
Yes sir! Old´n´Cranky!! a very good response and good advice, I like!

Not as many children today, their parents, buy them permission to drive,,,, a new car,,, and a team of new music,,, without evaluating what things cost ... .

They needed to learn many values ​​in life ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.