Twin Alpine SWR12D4 - 8 ohm?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just joined the forum. I hope this isn't too generic for this particular forum. Please let me know if I'm in the wrong forum, and I'll post where most appropriate.

Head unit: JVC KD-R740BT
Amp: Kenwood Kac-9105D 1800-Watt Class D Mono Amplifier
Speakers: Twin Alpine SWR-12D4, Dual 4-ohm Voice Coils
Box: Ported

The Alpine directions had me install a jumper on each speaker. This converted each to 8 ohms. I have each speaker wired to individual connector terminals on the box, so each speaker is wired to the amp separately.

Should I remove the jumper cables so the each speaker is 4 ohms, and still run individual speaker wires to the amp?

Should I wire the speakers together (changing ohms) and only run one speaker wire to the amp?

If I wire the speakers together, should I wire outside the box (it's ported so I'm not sure about running wires through the center walls)?

Just joined the forum. I hope this isn't too generic for this particular forum. Please let me know if I'm in the wrong forum, and I'll post where most appropriate.

Head unit: JVC KD-R740BT
Amp: Kenwood Kac-9105D 1800-Watt Class D Mono Amplifier
Speakers: Twin Alpine SWR-12D4, Dual 4-ohm Voice Coils
Box: Ported

The Alpine directions had me install a jumper on each speaker. This converted each to 8 ohms. I have each speaker wired to individual connector terminals on the box, so each speaker is wired to the amp separately.

Should I remove the jumper cables so the each speaker is 4 ohms, and still run individual speaker wires to the amp?

Should I wire the speakers together (changing ohms) and only run one speaker wire to the amp?

If I wire the speakers together, should I wire outside the box (it's ported so I'm not sure about running wires through the center walls)?

Hi tstape,

Your speakers are D4; which means Dual 4ohm voicecoils. There are two ways in which they can be configured... in series, or in parallel. The jumper assists you in wiring the two voicecoils together so the speaker terminal block will be either 2ohms or 8ohms. Unless that amp is rated for 1ohm, (likely not) you won't be able to wire the two voicecoils together in parallel because that would give each driver a total impedance of 2ohms. If you run two 2ohm drivers on the same amp output, the combined impedance will total 1ohm.

You'll need to wire the dual voicecoils together in a series configuration, which will give the speaker a total impedance of 8ohms, then when combined w/the other speaker @the amplifier's speaker output, the combined impedance will total 4ohms.

rigtec, best regards

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 30
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.