Review closed drawer for 18 inch woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm working on a new box for a 18 "woofer.

Completely handmade and made ​​"in-situ" measure, I removed the spare tire and have used all available measures to fill all possible gaps, with medium density wood, 10 mm thick (just under half inch) know, it's little, but so have decided.
It is an enclosed area, and 90.50 liters cubes, a little insufficient to 113 liters, which send the specifications of the woofer.

Then I would like to know any opinions on this, if you think it will sound good or not, having the drawer so different geometry of its sides believe, (see photo)

Any reply will be appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC_0089.jpg
    DSC_0089.jpg
    947.4 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC_0087.jpg
    DSC_0087.jpg
    930.8 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC_0088.jpg
    DSC_0088.jpg
    942.3 KB · Views: 86
In my opinion, you really need to reinforce that enclosure..10mm is just not enough for that kind of woofer :/
Maybe you could do this with glass fiber (few layers inside the box) or something like grouting concrete. It seems that the enclosure has been made of MDF? MDF is a fine stuff to build enclosures but there´s one but....it breathes a little, so with glass fibre or concrete you wouldn´t have this issue either :)

What make/model amp are you driving this with? And what coupling?

Looks great for now, with a few mods it´ll be tight and loud :) Otherwise, I think the box will explode..

Last edited:
Yes, and thank you for answering, I have thought of some way to reinforce some material and you say, fiberglass, or a layer of a special adhesive ...

The enclosure is made of wood, medium density here called "DM", well, we'll see ....

The amplifier will be a T2500-1BD and goes to work at 2 ohms.

I will try to reinforce good not to exploit, hahaha,,,
Thanks again, mika111.

The box stands a good risk of splitting under load. Certainly it will flex horribly (so you get a low Ql and parasitic radiation from the box faces out-of-phase) unless you put some serious reinforcing ribs between the two parallel panels. Putting a layer of fibreglass over the wood will not make it flex any less, and flexing is the problem not leakage. By all means use glass to make it prettier though!

The shape is not relevant at the frequencies you'll care about. If anything it will be a good thing to eliminate any standing waves in there.

113L is aiming for what Q? Since this is in a car, you can get away with much higher (like 0.8) Q than you would in a house or free-field.

You'd probably be better off picking a smaller sub (lower Vas) and using 18mm wood. The available internal volume will be smaller but that's OK if a different sub was designed for a smaller volume.

Okay, I will consider all these contributions, which are very valuable for me, I have successfully built several drawers, open or closed, but as this is the first time I do, it is a challenge for me .. (although, then to prove it, not worth it, and I have to throw them away, I will have learned to better build the next ...)
Will reinforce well the two parallel panels, and ... the fact that he used wood 10mm, it has been because I thought it sufficient to be tightly, (once the drawer placed on your site) over the hole I have in the trunk, both the top panel and the bottom, on the outside area is competamente tight to the walls of the luggage compartment, (see photo)

Note: the drawer is now, then it will not be ...
We'll see .... to see such ....
Thanks, laplace.

It has been the picture upside down, damn it ...

Attachments

• DSC_0043.jpg
    DSC_0043.jpg
    858 KB · Views: 85
Laplace had the point that I forgot :D Yes, absolutely you should install some ribs between top plate (where sub is) and bottom. MDF is medium-density fibreboard and that does breath a little.
So, few (like 10) layers of fibreglass and those ribs and you´ll be as fine as you get in that kind of box with that kind of sub :)

Easy to be afterwice...but it would´ve been a lot easier to make this only from fibreglass, maybe next time :)

Well, I think for now, I will terminate this enclosure.

I've been testing for a couple of weeks with various frequencies (60hz, 45hz,,,,) on occasion, had reverb, even had undesirable vibrations, I've solved, extracting again indoors, and placing between the bottom of it and the floor of the car (where the spare wheel was) a good amount of Dynamat, which is quite the problem solved.

Now is 42Hz, and I'm quite happy

I wish to leave with the two chrome bars, but was not effective, when you fill the trunk with shopping bags ... so I had to putting on that grid, photo 2, but I really do not like ...

Well, thank you all for your opinions and advice, and greetings.

Attachments

• DSC_0131.jpg
    DSC_0131.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_0144.jpg
    DSC_0144.jpg
    929.9 KB · Views: 26
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.