Logitech x540 subwoofer in car - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2013, 06:58 PM   #1
jake181 is offline jake181  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Logitech x540 subwoofer in car

I have the logitech x540 system, today i fitted the sub into my car with an inverter so as i could plug it into the 12v socket. The sub produced good bass and as it is only small i have loads of room left in the boot. I am wondering if there is a way i can permanently fit the sub into my car? i dont really want to have it plugged into an inverter. I am wondering if i can remove the amplifier inside and use an amplifier purchased on the internet to run the speaker. I believe the sub speaker is 40w rms so ill need an amp capable of running this. Alternatively if the transformer within the sub converts the voltage to 12v dc could i just wire it directly to my car battery?

Another thought it replacing the sub and amp and keeping the box. I dont want to spend alot of money here.

Cheers
Old 1st December 2013, 07:20 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If it does convert it to 12v and will run from a 12v supply, you will probably have to use a ground loop isolator in the RCA line to prevent ground loop noise.

What is the resistance measured directly across the speaker with the speaker disconnected from the amplifier.

If you post good quality photos of the amplifier used in the sub, that may help.
Old 2nd December 2013, 07:47 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ill have to get some pictures later on when i get a minute, however i have found this amplifier, 300W MINI AMPLIFIER 2 CHANNEL IN-CAR SPEAKER SUBWOOFER AMP - B-Stock CLEARANCE | eBay

I am wondering if i could remove the existing amp and replace it wil this so as to be able to wire it into my car easily
Old 2nd December 2013, 08:13 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

You'll need to know more about the speaker in the subwoofer before you can select an amplifier.

This amp is likely 20w RMS per channel into 4 ohm (maximum) before clipping.
Old 2nd December 2013, 05:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The sub measures 4 ohm's, i also measured the input to to the amplifier from the transformer and it measured 14.5v AC
Old 2nd December 2013, 07:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

That should be about 20v DC on the rectifier. If so, the amp you linked to won't be nearly as strong as the original (assuming that the power supply in the sub could hold at or near 20v under load). That's assuming that the amp is using a single-ended supply.

Hide this!Advertise here!