New Car, Sound Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

Just got my first car, not the greatest but its what I could afford right now,
Its a 97 ford fiesta encore, At the moment it has the standard ford audio which has no CD player, only a tape player :mad:

I would like to build up my sound, probably take a few months to get it all together but just hoping someone could give me a few pointers.

What is my aim with the sound?
Eventually I would hope to get it pretty loud, not competition levels though, just more than enough for my enjoyment with good bass.

What do I listen to?
Mostly rock/metal.

What do I know about sound?
Not much. I know I need a head unit, and I guess that would be the first place to start?

at the moment my local halfords seems to be running specials on pioneer head units, can anyone advise which model would be a good starting unit to obviously expand to a sub and an amp and speakers.

Halfords | Car Audio | Brand is "Pioneer"

(sorry if links are not allowed, mods please delete then)

Once I have got the head unit, then what?
Do I go for front door speakers and attach it to the head unit?
What Sub would you recommend that is pretty loud but on a good budget, what size would suit metal? 12"?
What amp would you need to get?

any information you can provide or even links to point a complete noob in the right direction would be highly appreciated. Please try make it a fairly informative reply, im no good at 1 or 2 liners and they usually cant give enough info in 1 or 2 lines.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Peace out
Madh4tt3r:D

things to remember about me
i like systems built for sound quality and system balance
i like to save money by buying old reliable tested equipment
my truck sounds good (every one has said its one of the best they have heard) and has about 104-108 decibels constant distortion free and will go up to 112 any day
ok frist you don't need a head unit if you don't use anything but an iPod they make problems
i don't use one in my truck anymore cuz the unit made bad distortion and clipping and looks good to thefts
i have no clue for a unit under 400$ i like old alpine straight auxiliary and radio ones make good clean sound (don't ever use the cd in one they brake and are hard to get the cd out)
i have heard good things about pioneer ones, the high end 600$ plus ones anyway

your looking for spl i have a ppi Sedona puts out plenty of power for 6 by 9's but if you live in az they overheat running at full rms all day
also check earthquake 200x old ugly basted that always impresses for 60 to 80$ i can't kill mine run it hard on 8in subs everyday under ohm rating sounds fine and fairly even nothing special in sq but rarely over heat or fail (they will get so hot they burn you but don't quit) and have a 80 hurt low pass and 200 hurt high pass
mtx thunder dome 3 ways are alright in sound sensitive so it saves on power, lots of treble i get mine for 80$
jvc are also a good brand little cheeper and less sql
try to cut 4 wholes for 6 by 9's in the back deck
6 by 9's are the key for any car they are the easiest way to achieve power and sql plus simplicity
if you have 6.5 in in your doors or 5.75 or whatever replace with re audio pros but make sure to use a active crossover they don't like subs those tones blow through them, sound good and enough spl

bass you say?
Custic Custic Custic low power good old school style subs your aim for metal should be a 12 or 10 aim for a ab class amp and a sealed box they won't brake your budget i pick my 15's up for 50$ sound good, hit good notes all day long not a bass head one though but each one only needs 150 watts

and if you want sound quality use old school zapco its the most affordable hifi amps i can find there all i believe in anymore for full ranges that i can buy (make great amps in general but cost way to much for me to use them on bass)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.