Filter after TDA1554.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Once you levelled down the voltage, yes, you can :p
:rolleyes:
It's well known that you can do anything you want at LINE level
but, once the signal is amplified, i.e. POWER level, it is delivered to the speakers ( or power/passive crossover then specialized speakers).
You can pick up the line level signal where the volume control is located.
See the potentiometer at the beginning of the path in that circuit ?
That circuit is an electronic/active crossover, and it works at line level.
You can find something like that in any multimedia 2.1 setup, where the path
for the subwoofer unit is obtained by summing L and R channels and then filtered for having only <100Hz to be amplified and sent to the subwoofer driver.

You need a passive crossover after the amplifier when you have got to differentiate the audio band for each driver. Same for line level crossover, but it needs an amplifier for each speaker- it's used mostly in professional gear ( stadium concerts) where 100000 W would have a significant loss if used with passive crossovers. Also in car where the power available ( supplied firstly by the battery) is not great.

Are you going to be driving speakers with this amp?

Yes, I will be using the TDA1554.

You need a passive crossover after the amplifier when you have got to differentiate the audio band for each driver. Same for line level crossover, but it needs an amplifier for each speaker- it's used mostly in professional gear ( stadium concerts) where 100000 W would have a significant loss if used with passive crossovers. Also in car where the power available ( supplied firstly by the battery) is not great.

ok i think i would have no choice on that. since I would be using it on a Car battery. Having an active means having both positive and negative supply and as of the knowledge that i have, I can't produce negative on a car battery. Please do enlighten me if you have an idea on how to output negative on a car battery :).

No- sorry !- active means that the process of dividing the bands for each speaker ( woofer-midrange- tweeter-subwoofer ) is done at line level and it is tailored to the particular system .
That circuit doesn't need a negative voltage supply ( as found in dual supplies)
as the virtual ground is created at 1/2 Vcc ( resistance partitor)

@picowallspeaker. i didn't mean the link i posted earlier. I meant the active filter that is alright for output but it would need a negative supply. since using the link that i gave as an output filter would not be good.

So instead i will just use a passive filter that my friend has. since as of now i don't know how to form a coil. I will still be learning it in the future.

One question. Do filters have specific wattages or they are just simply there in order to filter out whether it is a 22watt or a 100watt amplifier?

I am trying to connect the tda1554 amplifier to a filter so that it would sound good on a 3 way system

TDA1554-->LEFT FILTER HIGH--->TWEETER
| LEFT FILTER mid---->mid
| LEFT FILTER low --->sub
|
---->right FILTER HIGH--->TWEETER
right FILTER mid---->mid
right FILTER low --->sub

Last edited:
@perry

i would try to use a passive filter. I don't really know much about what a passive filter has specs or not but i will try to borrow from a friend and try to see what would be the outcome.

BTW: he said to me that the passive filter has a left and right input and a 3 way output on both sides. would that be alright?

I was trying to get more specifics to try to advise but you haven't provided the information I need so...

passive crossovers are simpler but using them will reduce the available power/headroom because each amplifier will be producing the entire spectrum. Using active crossovers (preamp level before the amplifier) will produce a system with more headroom.

Go to the car audio site (link in sig line below) and find the three pages that have 'passive' in their title and read all of them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.