Affordable Bench Test Power Supply DIY

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are lots of options for bench power supplies and most of us diyers should be more than capable of converting some of them out of server psu's. I have scanned the threads a little bit and haven't seen much info here so here is some excellent stuff!

A simple high quality 12Volt 100Amp Power Supply- Part1 - RC Groups
How to convert Server Power Supplies - RC Groups

Most of these server power supplies can be had for $10-$20 shipped each on ebay. Also if you do your research most can be modified to put out upwards of 14.5dcv and can still keep outstanding regulation (+/- 100mV from zero to full 85Amp load at 13,6V) (HP DPS-800GB).

Enjoy!

Not to make bad here, but that spec is too good to be true. ((+/- 100mV from zero to full 85Amp load at 13,6V)) +- 300 mv is the amount of noise you would expect on a very good linear supply under load like that (maby), Also unless this supply has sense lines the voltage at the load will vary in relation to the drop across whatever the conductor is being used. That having been said, this is a good inexpensive solution and how often to you need 85 A anyway.

I'm not 100% on the test or the method but it would be interesting to verify. I think most of these power supplies have some sort of voltage sensing because you can over ride it to get more voltage out of them. Im not an epert on these things.

As far as needing 85+ amps current, it is nice to have when bench testing amplifiers under load after repair or for determing max output or other things like that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.