setting amplifier gain using multimeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone use a mutimeter to set gain level? According to what I read I'm using a kicker 590.1 birth sheet came in at 569rms at 2 ohms and using ohms law calc I should be looking for 33.6 AC volts but that's only a 1/4 gain with no bass boost kicker amp should definitely handle more then 1/4 gain ...... Any insight?

The gain control has nothing to do with the output power.The amplifier will reach its full output regardless were the gain is at.In order to find out the true RMS of the amp you will need an oscilloscope to see when clipping sets in.Other wise you can be measuring a heavily clipped signal or something less then the full clean output.You will need a resistor of the value you are trying to measure connected to the speaker terminals (2 ohm in your case),a speaker will not work.The meter has to be true RMS or it will not measure the voltage accurately.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.