Digital Designs - Z1, removing short circuit protection?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm wanting to remove, or desensitise the short circuit/low impedance circuit in two of these amps..

Basically, what happens is, the better the supply voltage/current I have available, the more the amps go into protect...

More input voltage = more output voltage = more output current = more protect...

I haven't even looked into how they do this part of the protect circuit, so I'll look into that now and probably update this thread, but if someone has done this before, or could guide me in the right direction, that would be great.

Thanks!

I've just finished reinstalling the amps.

I have two strapped, running a 1ohm nominal impedance...

Now the master amp randomly either goes into protect, or sometimes looks like its turned off completely! the power/protect light doesn't turn red, it just goes off!

Currently running three 130ah, 1000cca agm batteries in the back, a smaller agm battery in the front (55ah, 700cca or something) and a 300amp alternator....

See, I used to run this with just two batteries and a stock alternator, and the amps would very rarely go into protect... add more batteries, and a bigger alternator, and now I can't even play music!

There's actually two of that circuit on the board, as there are two (pairs) shunts on the amplifier...

lzm1.jpg

I would really like this amplifier to be working "correctly" by next weekend... but I dont like my chances :(

sounds like your amp goes to undervoltage protection, but i'm not sure.

more like overvoltage, it does it with nothing playing! it does it with the headunit set to auxiliary input!

But, it can't be overvoltage either, as it does it when playing music, with the voltage sitting in the 12-13volt range...

I might disconenct the subs from that amp, and see if it still does it...

might even try putting an almost dead short across the output with no input connected, and see if it does the same thing...

I just went and cranked it, in the driveway...

well, first time I turned it on, went into protect, came out, and wouldn't go back into protect again...

Engine wasn't running...

Played music flat out for 30 seconds, voltage got down to just on 12volts, amp didn't go into protect...

You see, a friend of mine has two DD M4 amps... if he fully charges his batteries, the amps do the exact same thing as mine! so half the time, he just leaves them half flat....

WHATS GOING ON?!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.