Digital Designs - Z1, removing short circuit protection?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Its overvoltage protection....

The alternator I have will spike the voltage over 16 volts when you go from idle at traffic lights, and pick the revs up...

The amp goes into protect as a result of this...

I realised it today as I was blipping the throttle as a crept forward at a set of lights...

next lights, foot firmly on the brake, I blipped the throttle, amp shut down... came back on... blipped the throttle again, amp shut down instantly again...

Another update, and some confusion...

I had tested the setup before redoing the headunit ground, and got 153.1dB, backed up with 153.0dB...

At the competition, the best I managed was 152.4dB, backed up with 152.3dB...

Now, these amps deliberately clip the preamp stage before the power amp stage, and the clipping indicator is run off the preamp output....

If I previously had a 50 - 100mv drop on the rca ground, could that have potentially meant a higher RCA voltage before the amplifier clipped, and that could explain the drop in score.....

All so confusing!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.