High-quality 6X9" bass drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there such a thing? I've just re-frontended and re-amped my 2013 Grand Cherokee. See Installed a new DVD REceiver in my '13 Limited - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum
if you're interested.

I was going to install some great-performing SB Acoustic 8" bass drivers in the GC's front doors, but the original 6X9s are mounted on an ovoid tube extending maybe 2-1/2" from the door panel.

So I just identified the cable colors and put the doopanels back on. Am currently using the original, cheap, blue-plastic-coned, communistchinese drivers as bass drivers.

My audio advisor pointed me at WoofersEtc.com - The Online Car Audio Superstore, the Largest Selection at the Lowest Prices! and at these drivers...

WoofersEtc.com - CL-69 - CDT Audio 6x9" 200 Watts Mid-subwoofer

WoofersEtc.com - CL-69SUB/CF - CDT Audio 6"x9" Carbon Fiber Subwoofers

WoofersEtc.com - HD-690CF - CDT Audio 6x9" Carbon Fiber Subwoofer Cast Mid-Woofer

I'm looking for fairly high sensitivity...say over 90dB, low resonance frequency (I think), and power handling of maybe at least 100 Watts. (I'm driving them with a 50-continuous-Watts-per-channel-into-4 poweramp and thru its 100Hz low-pass filter.)

Any recommendations?

I'm looking for fairly high sensitivity...say over 90dB, low resonance frequency (I think), and power handling of maybe at least 100 Watts. (I'm driving them with a 50-continuous-Watts-per-channel-into-4 poweramp and thru its 100Hz low-pass filter.)

Any recommendations?

Since the enclosure is small, you can't have both high sensitivity AND low resonance for deep bass. You can only pick one more, and only one.

I think for that kind of money you might be better off with a good quality 6X9 from someone like JBL or something.

And then get a couple of 8's or 10's and build them into a sealed box of about 1cuft. each as that is typically all that is needed for subs.

I had two pair's of JBL's (4X6 dash and 6X9 Sail panels) in my 84 Camaro and the were phenomenal !!!
I used two Radio Shack Optimus CSW-PRO800's to back them up with and it was more than enough for some nice rockin sounds at about 110db as measured with a SPL meter and would hit 120DB on the peaks Cleanly with no distortion.

Only the subs were on their own 80watt Sony explode amp, Although it would have been better if I had a separate amps for the JBL's too.

But I never got that far before I wrecked it !!! :(

After that I put the just JBL 6X9's in a 91 Buick LaSabre and they still had plenty of bass for even on the stock radio!!

They were 3-way's of the GTO series but I forget the number (963's or 938's or something) as it was 10years ago when I First got them.

http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/sh...sionid=5A996970497585B0332FAFD76853519A.node3

FWIW

jer :)

P.S For Reference the 6X9's were GTO935's.
And the 4X6's are GTO6425's as I still have those. :)

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/109/109GTO325.PDF

Last edited:
The GTO938's are the newer model and they are rated at 94DB for one watt and 100waats RMS with 300watt peak rating.

I loved those JBL's and you can't go wrong with them!!
I have yet to hear any JBL speaker of any type that I didn't like or that sounded bad !!!

jer :)

The newest JBLs are purposely designed with a lower overall DCR, which will shift the impedance curve lower in order to extract more power to "seem" more efficient. They are starting out "hotter" earlier (for a given voltage level), but in the end the true power capability of the amp will be the limiting factor.

What is this....................................?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

As clearly labeled in that note, it is one of a pair of Polk Audio home speaker systems, the TL1 SAT, without its grill. After I replaced the 4-cent communistchinese HP filtercaps to the 'bass'/MR and the tweeter, they sound quite good atop the instrument panel--and the orchestra is actually now in front of me instead of everywhere and nowhere but I think around my knees. They're good for 7+ octaves; the 6X9s are lowpass-filtered (100Hz currently) for the mid- and upper-bass.

Do not yet have pics of the Polks in the JGC.

What I've learned with car audio, treatment of the door panels makes more of a difference than using even the best speaker on an untreated door. I like second skin audio products, they are readily available and have always pleased me.

m R g S r, TYVM for that info. In all the car-stereo stuff I've done over the decades, I've never used damping material of any kind, but I've used plenty of the thick SoundCoat on many ringing portions of home-audio equipment.

I think I'll apply some second skin (or Dynamat) products to the plastic panels first before buying more drivers...or....

...maybe second skin Damplifier Pro on the inner surfaces of the steel outer door panels, an ss Speaker Tweaker behind each driver, and a Dynamat Xtreme Door kit on the plastic panels?

Last edited:
Is there such a thing? I've just re-frontended and re-amped my 2013 Grand Cherokee. See Installed a new DVD REceiver in my '13 Limited - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum
if you're interested.

I was going to install some great-performing SB Acoustic 8" bass drivers in the GC's front doors, but the original 6X9s are mounted on an ovoid tube extending maybe 2-1/2" from the door panel.

So I just identified the cable colors and put the doopanels back on. Am currently using the original, cheap, blue-plastic-coned, communistchinese drivers as bass drivers.

My audio advisor pointed me at WoofersEtc.com - The Online Car Audio Superstore, the Largest Selection at the Lowest Prices! and at these drivers...

WoofersEtc.com - CL-69 - CDT Audio 6x9" 200 Watts Mid-subwoofer

WoofersEtc.com - CL-69SUB/CF - CDT Audio 6"x9" Carbon Fiber Subwoofers

WoofersEtc.com - HD-690CF - CDT Audio 6x9" Carbon Fiber Subwoofer Cast Mid-Woofer

Any recommendations?

At 100Hz low pass, I think you will be disappointed in the CDT offerings and quite possibly anyone else's 6x9. I use the CL-69SUB/CF and run it band pass between about 65Hz and about 500Hz with 24dB slope on each side with a 75 Watt amplifer.

Using it from 100Hz and down, the CDT will easily run to it's mechanical limits before it gets satisfyingly loud. As a mid-bass it is quite good. The three models of CDT 6x9's, I am told, are all similar in that regard.

I also looked at the Cadence CVLW69, Image Dynamics XS-69 and Hybrid Audio Technologies I69-2. I am not sure if any of those are still available but if the Cadence will fit, it might be the most suitable for your application.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.